3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 5:59 PM by Peter M

Interent Slow

First of all i'm not sure if this is the right forum forgive me if it's not. Well, I recently purchased the "Internet Security 2009" of McAfee and after I installed everything when I was browsing the internet my internet speed was strangely, and severely slow. FYI it was as slow as dial-up and my internet speed is very fast. So I thought it was the McAfee Software, so what I did was uninstall it and then check my internet, and believe it or not my internet speed was back to high-speed. So to summarize the Internet Security of McAfee has slowed down my internet speed drastically, can anyone tell me why? Thanks in advance!
        • 1. ive got the same problem
          now what should i do, should i either demand a refund, or is there a solution, and whats ur current situation ???
          • 2. RE: ive got the same problem
            Peter M
            Everyone is entitled to a refund within 30 days of purchase.

It should not be doing this however. Did you check System Requirements before purchase? Also, if you have any similar software running try disabling it.

Minimum System Requirements...

• Microsoft® Windows 2000 (32-bit) with Service Pack 4 (SP4) or higher,
            • Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher,
            • Windows Vista (32- or 64-bit) and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher
            • 800 X 600 or higher resolution
            • 256 MB RAM
            • 75 MB of available free drive space
            • Internet connection
            • Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
            • Optional: Mozilla Firefox 1.5 or later

Supported Email Programs

• POP3 – Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, Netscape, IncrediMail and Thunderbird; Japanese only: Shuriken, Becky and PostPet
            • MAPI – Outlook
            • Web – MSN/Hotmail, or email account with POP3 access

Required For Anti-Spam Toolbar Plug-In

• Outlook Express 6.0 or later
            • Outlook 2000 or later
            • Eudora 6.0 or later
            • Thunderbird 1.0 or later
            • Anti-Spam also supports any other POP3 email client (without SSL) and Web accounts (MSN/Hotmail paid accounts and accounts with POP3 access)

In practise we have found that the minimum of 256mb RAM is not nearly enough given today's applications and their requirements.

That is usually the cause of system slowdowns, or, as aforementioned, competing software running at the same time, or a system that is not up to date.

It can also happen if McAfee was an upgrade from a previous version. In which case uninstall, run the MCPR cleanup tool linked in my signature, reboot and reinstall from the website account.
            • 3. RE: ive got the same problem
              Peter M
              By the way, we are all volunteers here and can't always get to every post. The actual Technical Support is available through the link at top left of this page.