5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 5:19 PM by Peter M

Windows doesn't recognize

I installed the latest version and clicking on mcafee icon on bottom right shows everyting is allright and protected. However when I go to "control pannel" and "Windows Security Center", I see Firewall and "Automatic update" are both on. But for virus protection, it says "not monitored". There is a recommendation button and sure enough mcafee is one of their recommendations! Why can't it recognize mcafee is running? Thanks for your help.
        • 1. RE: Windows doesn't recognize
          Peter M
          Try the following:

1. Click the start button and search on the word "CMD" - "CMD.exe" should appear. In XP go to Start/Run and type in cmd then hit Enter.

2. Right click on it and select "run as administrator". (You can skip this if it's XP)

3. In the command window at the prompt type each line and press Enter and wait until it completes:

net stop winmgmt (Wait until this transaction completes before proceeding to the next one...)

cd c:\windows\system32\wbem

ren repository repository.old

net start winmgmt

4. Then, please restart the computer and check the result.
          • 2. Have aproblem
            thanks for your response. I typed the commands. The last one, "net start winm.."
            It came back with "net is not recognized as an internal or external command", operable program or batch file".
            Do I need to change directory for that one?
            • 3. RE: Have aproblem
              Peter M
              If the net stop winmgmt worked then the net start winmgmt should work, are you sure you typed it in right? Try copy and pasting it from the above post.
              • 4. It did/didn't work
                I had copied and pasted berfore to make sure typing's correct.
                I tried to do something else. I thought maybe the reason "net start winmgmt" did not work was because it was not in "c:\windows\system32\wbem" directory. So I changed the directory one level up by "cd c:\windows\system32". then I typed "net start winmgmt". This time it recognized it. Next I restarted the computer and then went to Windows Security and sure enough it says "Virus protection not monitored". Do I have to do something else in there to tell it explicitly that I have mcafee running.
                Why can't these things be automated and save users from all this?
                Thank you for your help.
                • 5. RE: It did/didn't work
                  Peter M
                  What operating system and service pack is this and are you totally up to date with both critical and non-critical updates?

According to what I find on Google this was common in the early days of Vista but has happened over the years in other systems and appears to be a system problem rather than a software one.

Try the following:

Step 1 Goto safe mode (may be with networking) by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.
                  Click on Start and in search box type in services.msc and then in menu right click o
                  services and click on "run as administrator" (ignore that last bit if XP)
                  Step 2. Double click on "Windows Management Instrumentation" and click on STOP button and stop this service
                  Step 3 Goto c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository and rename the repository folder
                  Step 4. Then go to "Windows Management Instrumentation" and click on START button and start this service
                  Step 5 Restart the computer and issue will be resolved

These are all direct copies of solutions I find using Google.

Alternatively do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
                  In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
                  If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

Lastly, you could try Technical Support Chat linked at top left of this page or in my signature.