5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 4:26 PM by Dinz

Blank Window During Installation

I am trying to upgrade to Internet Security Suite. I uninstalled my previous McAfee products, used MCPR and attempted to install the new version. The installer stops during the "collecting information" phase and displays a window with the the McAfee security center logo across the top but no real window contents. As per suggestions I've seen elsewhere on these forums I have:

Run MCPR
      Confirmed that windows scripting is up to date.
      Run dsfix and IERegFix.
      Uninstalled IE 8.
      Set the default version of IE to allow cookies and prompt for ActiveX.
      Run dsfix and IERegFix again.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP 3 with all major updates installed.
      None of this resolves the issue. Is there anything else I should be trying?
      Thanks
        • 1. RE: Blank Window During Installation
          Peter M
          It can happen that the servers are slow to load and the blank screen will eventually behave normally. Are you still having the trouble?
          • 2. RE: Blank Window During Installation
            I've been having the problem for three days now. I've also allowed it to sit on the blank screen for something like 20 minutes in hopes that it might eventually do something. I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think that's it.
            • 3. RE: Blank Window During Installation
              Peter M
              Technical Support Chat is available 24/7 via the link at top left of the page or in my signature, FYI.

Not sure what to suggest other than the following...but first make sure that Windows is totally up to date with both critical and non-critical updates.

If you are using IE7 or 8 (final) go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset. Then click Apply and OK. Close IE and reopen it. Re-enable all add-ons under Tools/Manage Add-Ons.
              If you are using IE6 go to Tools/Internet Options.
              Under the Security tab make sure all zones are at default, under the Advanced tab make sure it is at default, Apply and OK it. Under the General tab clear history and temporary files. Under the Content tab make sure that Content Advisor is off.

This sort of behaviour would be normal if you still had IE8 beta installed, so am a little puzzled that it's happening now.
              • 4. Re: RE: Blank Window During Installation

I have had this same issue on two different XP computers now. While the download is "gathering information" it is frozen on a blank McAfee logo window and it will stay there for hours. Googling for this problem indicates that many people have experienced this same issue, but no page provides an answer.

• 5. Re: RE: Blank Window During Installation
                  Dinz

Hi All,

Quite sometimes during a Windows system update, some Windows .DLL files did not register themselves.  Please check if you have all of the available windows update installed in the computer.
                  Then run the MCPR tool from available links at the top of this page.
                  Restart the computer , run MCpreinstall tool from here : and reinstall your products.

Please do let me know if any issues

Regards,
                  Dinesh K
                  McAfee Online Community Moderator