9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2009 1:57 AM by Peter M

Does Your Experience Differ?

I ran the Norton internet security suite on my pc for about a year without any updates at all and had no problems whatsoever.

Then I bought and installed McAfee.

First I installed from the web site. No problem. Two days later I'm getting messages that my system isn't protected from bad stuff in emails and instant messages. I read stuff on this site suggesting this is a bug, so I uninstalled, and I used MCRP.exe to further deinstall and clean up everything. Then I installed from the disk and after that was complete I clicked on Update to get everything updated. No problem. Three days later my copy of Firefox is acting a little strangely, like I picked up a hijacker somewhere. McAfee scans and finds nothing, but then along comes MS and the March malicious code removal tool and it finds and kills Koobface, a virus spreading through social networking sites like Facebook, etc, which, by the way, I don't ever use.

But...no problem.

Four days after that I click on Update again and now I get a McAfee error message that I should uninstall and reinstall all over again.

So, the issue here is that when I bought McAfee Internet Security I wasn't looking for a new hobby, or a part-time job. I expected I could install the app and it would work without needing to be reinstalled a couple of times before I've had it a month. And my question is this: should I expect to devote endless hours screwing around with the thing? Or it is possible at some point in the near future that all these problems might get ironed out?

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
        • 1. RE: Does Your Experience Differ?
          Peter M
          Please include the following information:

What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update?

What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.

If the problem persists then I need to know what other protection software you have. Also when removing Norton did you use their removal tool?
          • 2. RE: Does Your Experience Differ?
            Thanks for your reply Ex Brit.

I'm running WinXP SP3 and it's up to date.

McAfee Internet Security modules:
            Security Center 8.1.175 update 3/6
            VirusScan 12.1.111 update 3/13
            Personal Firewal 9.1.108 update 3/6
            Site Advisor 2.9.242 update 3/7
            Anti-Spam 9.1.109 update 3/6
            Privacy Service 10.1.142 update 3/6
            Data Backup 1.2.103 update 3/6

I didn't know Norton has a removal tool, but I'll risk my sanity and try to find it on the Symantec site, though frankly I'd rather shoot myself in the head than try to wade through that morass (which is a primary reason why I bought McAfee rather than renew Norton).

You're telling me in effect to reinstall again, using the McAfee removal tool, which is what I did the first time. I'll give it a shot later today. happy
            • 3. RE: Does Your Experience Differ?
              Peter M
              Yes I am saying to reinstall as your versions seem to be older than the current one, which is Security Center 9.3, VirusScan 13.3 and so on. Those probably would download from McAfee's online account.

Symantec Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Sorry, I should have posted it.
              • 4. RE: Does Your Experience Differ?
                Well I deinstalled and reinstalled again, and tried DLing direct from my McAfee account, and this time I got nothing, except for the infamous error 12029.

Naturally, a search revealed nothing about error 12029 until I searched via Google, at which point I found one McAfee tech recommending a long list of things to check and delete, while another one described 12029 as a "network problem" about which McAfee can do nothing.

The one thing I didn't do is run the Norton removal tool, because this apparently removes Norton Systemworks, which I don't want to remove, unless someone's telling me that McAfee won't work unless anything and everything with the Norton name on it has to go.
                • 5. RE: Does Your Experience Differ?
                  Peter M
                  If the MCPR tool route didn't work then you have better open a case with Technical Support Chat and, if necessary, have them escalate the case to a higher level.
                  • 6. RE: Does Your Experience Differ?
                    Well I tried reinstalling from the CD, then updating from the web, but this time I did NOT install Site Advisor or Data Backup, and, so far, no problem.
                    • 7. RE: Does Your Experience Differ?
                      Peter M
                      Well, not sure why those two entities would make such a difference, but glad that it worked anyway.
                      Can I mark this as solved for now then?
                      • 8. RE: Does Your Experience Differ?
                        Well, five days later and I tried to update and once again got an error message saying I should reinstall everything. And frankly I'm tempted to de-install everything and just forget it. Getting away from hassles like this is why I dropped Norton and bought McAfee. Maybe I should go for ZoneAlarm and the other freebie apps.
                        • 9. RE: Does Your Experience Differ?
                          Peter M
                          Something must be interfering with it. Go to Technical Support Chat - link in my signature. They can at least escalate the issue to a higher level.