5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 7:55 AM by Peter M

Renew subscrciption from CD/DVD

Hi

I have recently come to upgrade a customers subscription by using a retail disc. I assumed that the disc could be installed over the top of the existing installation, and reading the isntall instructions confirmed this. However, after installation the subscription hadn't been extended. During activation, McAfee asked if I wanted to register using the same details as before, so I accepted. When logging into the account for my customer, they had two subscriptions active for that email address, one subscription 1 for the OEM version that had expired that day, and subscription 2 for the disc I had just inserted. Subscription 2 contained the correct subscription details, IE, expiry date of 12 months time. But I couldn't associate the install I just performed with the new subscription. In the end, I uninstalled then reinstalled online, from the subscription 2 download button and this worked.

Is there a way to assing a subscription to a mcafee install? as they only had the one subscription in the first place. Why did it add this install as a seperate subscription? Although I have a work around, I can not install to activate the new subscription, then uninstall, then install from the online account each time as this doubles the time I'm onsite.

I know the ultimate solution would be to renew online, but this cuts out my business and income, and mcafee only issue commision when I sign someone up for the first time online. If they were to issue commision on resubscriptions (I think Panda do this) then I might think again.

Any help would be appreciated as this is a messy method and make me look unprofessional when customers are wathing me. Prehaps there is a solution for resellers to manage subscriptions online? although by no means am I selling hundreds of licences.

Many thanks
      Kind Regards
      -Neil
        • 1. RE: Renew subscrciption from CD/DVD
          Peter M
          Neil, I'm sorry we know precious little (read nothing) on how subscriptions work. Have you tried speaking or chatting directly with Customer Service? (Top of page, 2nd from left).

They have all the answers, we only really deal with tech. stuff here.
          • 2. RE: Renew subscrciption from CD/DVD
            Just to let you know, I have since contacted customer services (via online chat), not convinced they are in the UK ... who failed to grasp the problem I was experiencing and kept refering me to tech support for installation problems. In the end the guy gave me the procedure for updating the subscription, which is the method I use already and gives me the above mentioned problem ... so have gotten no where.

If I call customer services on their London number, will they be able to help or will I be redirected to India where again, they will no doubt not grasp the problem and only give scripted answers.

I have in the meantime been trialing other products as I cannot continue to recommend McAfee if I cant get a revenue from it, and updating the subscription isn't a simple process from disc. Together with the site advisor over night forcing my customers to search with Yahoo ... what is all that about? If it was a free product, I'd expect it, but on a paid subscription ?!?!

Why can't McAfee use product keys like so many other security products. I have recently upgraded a Norton product for a customer, and that was so simple ... disc in ... reboot ... enter product key ... new 1 year subscription ... Surely you (McAfee) are leaving your selves wide open to abuse ... many of my customers are intelligent enough to realise they can use the disc and install however many copies they want with the one email address ... its down to me to strive to do things by the book.

[gripe over]

but seriously, please put this forward at your next meeting / get together, as I am fast approaching reccomending another security product.

Many thanks for continued support,

Kind Regards
            Neil
            • 3. RE: Renew subscrciption from CD/DVD
              Peter M

Subscriptions are as they are and they aren't about to change the procedures, however, as I stated earlier, we only deal with Technical Support issues here.
              • 4. RE: Renew subscrciption from CD/DVD
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by NeilYoung1
                Just to let you know, I have since contacted customer services (via online chat), not convinced they are in the UK ... who failed to grasp the problem I was experiencing and kept referring me to tech support for installation problems. In the end the guy gave me the procedure for updating the subscription, which is the method I use already and gives me the above mentioned problem ... so have gotten no where.

Quote:
                Originally Posted Ex_Brit
                Chat centres are dotted around but most are in India. To update a subscription is between you and Customer Service, we can't help you here with that. You can do it online, or b y purchasing a new retail CD, but I would recommend always uninstalling the older product first.

This is my original problem ... installing from the CD doesn't update the current subscription, it mearly makes a new subscription on the account, and I have to then unininstall, login to the users account, and download and install from the new subscription, just to acheive a subscription update - takes 3 times as long as it should.

Sorry, I'm not complaining directly at you, but am fustrated that I can't get hold of anyone who either knows how to answer or even grasps the problem - that frankly should not be a problem!

I have been with McAfee since its inception well back in the Windows 3.x days and dont have any issues with the product(s). I am currently testing the Norton product and am seriously considering recomending this to my many customers when their time comes to renew subscriptions.

Again, not directed at you, any help is always appreciated, especially from a volunteer, and I presumed unpaid. Appologies if you feel it has been directed at you!

All I can hope is that some management at McAfee read their own forums and see the problems some users are having in what I see as a backward system for managing licences and subscriptions ...

Thanks again
                Neil
                • 5. RE: Renew subscrciption from CD/DVD
                  Peter M
                  I hear you and good luck.