1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 10:09 AM by gldnju

Error Code 5b050010

gldnju
      I receive this error before Pre Boot Authentication.

"5b050010 - An error has occurred while starting Safeboot"

The McAfee knowledgebase article (KB 52119) gives the steps for a solution. At step 6 however, the instructions are to view the 16 and 17 TXT files on another pc. When I try to view the files, both TXT files read, "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." If I can't view the TXT file to determine which file contains the lowest sequence number, how can I complete the steps?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
        • 1. RE: Error Code 5b050010
          1. what product are you using and what version?
          2. what OS?

it sounds like you are following the instructions to fix an EPT error, that only applies to v4 of SafeBoot Device Encryption for PCs.

If this is indeed the case then you are doing the right thing, but if you cannot open a text file on another PC, then something is very wrong - you just need to open them in notepad, I guess you're still trying to run the EXE in Windows?
          • 2. EPT Sequence Error
            gldnju
            I am using SB 4.2 on XP.

I've followed all the steps exactly the way the KB shows, but when I open notepad to view the files, the text shows the message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." If I can't change the DAT files, does that mean the pc is unrecoverable?

Thanks
            • 3. RE: EPT Sequence Error
              You don't need to run eptinfo from the boot disk - as long as you kept the dat files you can run it from Windows itself.
              • 4. RE: EPT Sequence Error
                gldnju
                If I can't get to Windows, how do I run it?

Thanks
                • 5. RE: EPT Sequence Error
                  on another machine?

eptinfo just translates the dats into txt, you can run that on any windows box after retrieving the dat files.

are you an end user? If so perhaps you should call your helpdesk about this and let them fix the problem?
                  • 6. How do fix this problem
                    I have installed virtual dj on my laptop but anytime i try to open the virtual dj, it gives me error message of error sound driver of activeX, I will be glad if you help me to fix it.
                    • 7. RE: How do fix this problem
                      is this problem related to McAfee Encryption products ? happy
                      • 8. RE: EPT Sequence Error
                        gldnju
                        I apologize for my ignorance, I'm somewhat new to Safeboot and don't have a lot of training with it. I guess my question is, If I take the boot floppy with the dat and txt files to another computer and the txt file doesn't show me the segment and file number, how do I run the commands without those numbers?
                        • 9. RE: EPT Sequence Error
                          you created the text files from the dat file, but the eptinfo command does not run for you in the dos prompt.

so, just create the txt files from the dats in a Windows command prompt.

You cannot fix the EPT's without the numbers, there's simply no way.

If you are not sure what you are doing, call your helpdesk. If you are your companies helpdesk and have support, log a ticket with McAfee.
                          1 2 Previous Next