5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 1:19 AM by kthomas

Error 002000e

One of my PCs has been reporting the following message in the SBClientLog file for days.

Error during cryption [e002000e]: Sector chain is invalid

Unfortunately, there seems to be no way for SafeBoot to actually report that the installation is screwed and so we didn't know about it until we rebooted the machine and it failed to even start the preboot authentication. Result: one knackered server, a lot of annoyed users, hours of effort to rebuild the server and several phone calls to McAfee support who were very helpful, especially Jason from the USA 2nd line support team, and didn't object to the fact that the PC was a server with a RAID array and talked us through doing a manual decrypt of the partitions (which is still underway two days later).

Anyway, what I'd really like to know is, why the hell it happened in the first place? How would this sector chain be corrupted? And has anybody got any good suggestions on how I would monitor encrypted machines to catch this sort of thing before rebooting?

Mike
        • 1. Re: Error 002000e

we encounter this issue as well in our enviroments..

i suspect this most likely due to hardware/drive issue..

I agree with you that,

It would be good if safeboot can create an application to check the readyness of hardware&software before installing and encrypting the hardrive.

• 2. Re: Error 002000e

While I agree with you that install time pre-check should have been better, you failed to assess your needs properly. RAID is not supported and definetely will give you trouble. As for quicker recovery, build and test (and test some more) WinTech CD recovery options, especially with drive mounting (for rapid data recovery) and EEPC removal. We found that WinTech (WinPE) based operations are much faster compared with SafeTech EEPC removal.

• 3. Re: Error 002000e

You have failed to read and understand my original post.  Let me take this point by point :-

While I agree with you that install time pre-check should have been better

I didn't ask for an install time check.  I didn't even mention the idea of an install time check.  The initial installation was fine and worked.

you failed to assess your needs properly

My need was to encrypt the server.  I assessed this and it was independently confirmed.  So I think it is safe to say that I did assess my needs properly.  Admittedly, as it turns out, I chose the wrong tool to do the job.

RAID is not supported and definetely will give you trouble

I have to give you half of that - RAID is not officially supported.  On the other hand, it does actually work.  And I have it working on an identical server and it has been for months, so your assertion that it will definitely give me trouble is not supported by the evidence available to me.

As for quicker recovery, build and test (and test some more) WinTech CD recovery options

Grandmother, eggs.  I leave the rest as an exercise for the student

Penultimately, the problem was caused by SafeBoot detecting an error but not actually bloody telling anyone about it and then crapping out on the next re-boot - behaviour which is undeniably an epic fail!  That's what I was asking about and why I was just slightly dischuffed.

And finally, I originally posted back in the middle of April.  It's a bit late to be breaking the silence now, I've resolved the problem by using a different encryption tool that doesn't have a problem with RAID arrays and doesn't barf for no very good reason.

Mike

• 4. Re: Error 002000e

Thank you for your comments, I'm sure it will help some other readers in similar cases. I'm glad to see that your issue had been resolved.

• 5. Re: Error 002000e
                  kthomas

Hi Mike and the others who posted a reply.

I am part of the knowledge analyst team for this product and where possible I guide customers to existing articles to assist them or to docs that can clarify a point. Although I do not yet have an answer to your question I can provide some relevant detail on this topic that could help you and others who incur this problem.

Couple of things.

Point 1: The error: [e002000e]: Sector chain is invalid

There is an article covering this topic in the knowledgebase. The details basically asks you to contact McAfee as this is under investigation.

Article ref: KB60904ERROR: Error during cryption [e002000e]: Sector chain is invalid

What I will do today is contact our Tier III chaps and ask them where we are with the investigation and update the KB and yourselves as soon as I get feedback.

Point 2: Raid Support

We do support hardware raid. This is documented in the following article:

Article ref: KB60726 - Hardware and Software RAID compatibility with Endpoint Encryption for PC and Files and Folders

Extract from the article:

Hardware RAID
                  At this time McAfee only supports hardware-based Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks (RAID).  However, due to the number of hardware RAID controllers, it is impossible to test with all configurations.  Generally the RAID hardware must be recognized by the system BIOS, but only for the boot drive.

Software RAID
                  Software RAID provided by the operating system is not supported.

Point 3: Tip for anyone using this product with hardware Raid.

There is a best practices document that can assist before installing the product, or making modifications post installation. This document also provides advice on RAID controllers. The DOC ID ref: PD21801

Extract from :PD21801

FILE CACHE ON RAID HARD DRIVE CONTROLLER

File Cache on Raid Hard Drive Controller
                  Let the Object Directory host server have the largest possible file cache on the RAID Hard Drive controller. This
                  Hardware device will increase the file‚Äźaccess speed dramatically.
                  NOTE: if cache is enabled on RAID controllers, use UPS backup for power failure protection, because a power
                  failure can lead to a data loss as writes may be still held in cache

All the above article are locatable at the McAfee ServicePortal:  http://mysupport.mcafee.com

I will return to add additional information ASAP, once I have obtained an update.

All the best and thank you for posting your question.

Kevin
                  Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services)
                  Web: http://mysupport.mcafee.com