1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2009 7:29 AM by petr.bohac

Safeboot tray icon missing

I've been testing Safeboot (5.1.7) before large scale deployment to laptops within a company and found interesting issue. I can't see safeboot manager icon in systray after the instalaltion.

The only change I made is a company customized boot theme. The rest is intact. Also I don't see SafeBootTrayManager key in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

What could be wrong? Is there anything I missed when I modified a default theme though I'm not sure how would it screw a creation of one registry key.
        • 1. RE: Safeboot tray icon missing
          Can't imagine a theme would break that, but who knows - try updating a system back to the default theme and settings and see what happens. Also, he client files installed if you look in Program Files or are they missing, too?
          • 2. RE: Safeboot tray icon missing
            I have \ had this same issue. Check out this thread on what I have to do when we have missing icons.

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=226006&highlight=icon
            • 3. RE: Safeboot tray icon missing
              mwilke
              Try un-hiding sys tray icons. If you right click your start button and go to properties you can put a check mark or uncheck the "hide inactive icons" in your sys tray.

It is possible that it is flagging this as an inactive icon. If you are hiding inactive icons, click the cusomize button to the right of the "hide inactive icons" check box in your properties and scroll down till you see the SB Tray manager. Set it to "always Show"

should do the trick.
              • 4. RE: Safeboot tray icon missing
                Christopher-Boston: yep, will try that with default theme. Client files are all there (and also "manager" in c:\Program Files\SafeBoot Tray Manager\SbTrayManager.exe).

ESB: actually I've read your thread but it seems it is not my case.

mwilke: that's not the case. Again I must say that SbTrayManager.exe is missing in Run key in the registry so it physically doesn't run on the machine. And I have no idea why is that? I believe that it should be added during the installation of Safeboot. However the installer doesn't produce any log file so I can't check if the key was created or not.

Well I can try to monitor the installation with sysinternal's regmon but I'm bit lazy though.
                • 5. RE: Safeboot tray icon missing
                  I imagine you didnt have enough rights when you ran the installer? For sure it should be in the HKLM run key.
                  • 6. RE: Safeboot tray icon missing

nope, I'm local admin. Anyway you wouldn't install Safeboot w/o admin rights, would you? wink I've tried it on 2 laptops and the same result.

Can I enable some verbose logging for the installer? It seems it's not standard MSI installer where I can enable logging and check what might be the problem.
                    • 7. RE: Safeboot tray icon missing
                      no, it's not MSI.

I expect there's something wrong with your client install set that you are making the installer from (as you alone out of all our customers are seeing this problem).

what file type is sbtraymanager set to be? The default is post install helper exe.

is there anything in the client log - for example an indication of removing/reinstalling files?
                      • 8. RE: Safeboot tray icon missing
                        I've seen this issue with ver 5.1.3 as well. It turned out to be McAfee AntiVirus blocking some registry writes during client install. You disabling AV during install?
                        • 9. RE: Safeboot tray icon missing
                          Safeboot: I'll check on that.

m.taylor: well I was also thinking about antivirus (VSE 8.7) which might block writing to registry but didn't find anything relevant in the vse on-access scan log. VSE was enabled during the install, that's for sure.
                          1 2 Previous Next