7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 9:47 AM by mrepuski

Can Not Restore Data Back Up

Back in November 2008 I used McAfee Data Backup to create a backup of my hard drive's files to an external HD. In early December, I suffered a complete loss of the computer and had to replace it. Thinking it would be easy to restore the files, I reinstalled McAfee (free from Comcast) and started the restore process. Much to my surprise, the McAfee product could not read the previous backup. I contacted McAffee Support and was told that the new computer had to be configured "exactly the same" as the old computer. What ever that means. I have tried and tried to restore the backup but keep getting nowhere. Any help would be appreciated. All of my family photos are on that backup.
        • 1. RE: Can Not Restore Data Back Up
          Peter M
          Dan, I'm asking for expert help on this as we don't know the answer.
          • 2. Data Restore
            mrepuski
            There are a few things that I need to confirm. If either are an issue the application is unable to read the data.

When you archived the data to the external drive encryption must have been enabled.
            In order to unencrypt the data you must install the McAfee security suite using the same user account used on the first system.

If the user name used to install the application has been confirmed as identical we need to test if the installation of the backup application worked.

Please setup a new archive location, run a full archive, create a test file, run a quick archive and then delete the test file. If this works then application is operating correctly.

Let me know how you make out, if you are still having issue let me know what messages are presented when the restore process fails.
            • 3. What are the requirements for a successful restore?

Hi we have the same issue. We've confirmed the backup restore process works, but we're using a different computer and different username. We need to restore the data from the computer that had it's disk reformatted. We thought we would simply use the McAfee backup but now we're stuck.

I have the original laptop, and the original disk. I can create the same username.

Q. Do I need to use the original laptop or can I use my new one? I can create the same username on the new laptop of course. Is that the only requirement, or are there any other requirements?

Thank you
              Mark
              • 4. Restoring Data using McAfee Data Backup & Restore
                mrepuski
                If you tested the software and it works locally for new files the installation itself is fine.
                If the old archives from the original system fail to restore it is entirely possible that you used a different email address to install your McAfee applications.

The McAfee user account is used are a part of the encryption key. Using another account to install your product suite will prevent you from decrypting the data. You must install using the same email account.

Let me know if this is the case or not.
                • 5. RE: Restoring Data using McAfee Data Backup & Restore

Q1. It sounds like you are specifying two criteria for the restore to be able to work, can you please confirm that both of these are necessary or not:
                  1) The Windows XP user account must be the same
                  2) The email address used to install the McAfee product must be the same.

Q2: What about the machine name, does it also need to be the same?

In answer to your question, I don't know if we are using the same email account or not. will that be the only thing stopping us?

Q3: Should we start trying many different email addresses to re-register the software? Is there an easy way to change it or do we need to reinstall?

Mark
                  • 6. Settings needed to use old archive files
                    mrepuski
                    Q1: It sounds like you are specifying two criteria for the restore to be able to work, can you please confirm that both of these are necessary or not:

1) The Windows XP user account must be the same
                    Ans: The Windows user does not affect new or old archive. This is not the issue.

2) The email address used to install the McAfee product must be the same.
                    Ans: This is the normal cause of this issue, using another email account to install your McAfee applications is fine but restoring old encrypted archives will fail.

Q2: What about the machine name, does it also need to be the same?
                    Ans: The machine name does not effect archives either, a different name is fine.

In answer to your question, I don't know if we are using the same email account or not. will that be the only thing stopping us?
                    Ans: Yes, 99.99 percent of the time using a differnt account is the source of this issue.

Q3: Should we start trying many different email addresses to re-register the software? Is there an easy way to change it or do we need to reinstall?
                    Ans: Unfortunatley there isn't an easy way to change you account. Reregistering will not work either as the old account exists. To change the user account for your current system you will have to remove and reinstall the mcafee application using a tool called MCPR.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100507&lang=en_US

Simply guessing the name could take some time. You may want to contact customer service and ask them to help you locate the email account. Check the source where you download you application to ensure that you connect to the correct support group.

Let me know how you make out
                    • 7. live tec support
                      CyberDefender offers a phone tech support which is a lot cheaper than going to Best Buy, but still costs money. I hope you can get the photos back, this is very scary.