Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
6798 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2009 1:45 AM by GerryMarkham RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Newcomer 7 posts since
Sep 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 9, 2009 7:58 AM

Buffer overflow in svchost.exe

I am getting this message several times a day:

===========================================
McAfee has automatically blocked a buffer overflow.
About this Buffer Overflow
File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
===========================================

However when I run a complete scan with McAfee Securuty Center nothing is found.

This occurs on both PCs where MSC 9.15 is installed.

I have uploaded C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe to Virustotal.com and nothing was found.

I had Conficker virus on these machines, but I believe it was successfully removed, as indicated by McAfee and several other virus scanners.

I am not getting any of the usual conficker symptons, and scanning my running processes with the University of Bonn Conficker detection tools finds nothing.

I have also run the McAfee Conficker S.t.i.n.g.e.r.exe program, which indicates that svchost.exe is in fact infected, but a scan of my machine using S.t.i.n.g.e.r.exe again finds nothing on any file on my hard drive.

Full scans with other tools such as Windows defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool also indicate nothing.

Again my PC is showing none of the usual Conficker symptoms. Only McAfee seems to see any sort of problem. This is making me think this is a false alarm and I would like to know what can be done about it.
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points