Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
7084 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2009 6:30 PM by cranheim RSS
cranheim Newcomer 12 posts since
Dec 25, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2009 9:49 AM

How to handle a Quarantined Trojan

When I ran VirusScan v13.3, it detected and quarantined three Trojans named FakeAlert-GM. I cannot find any option to have VirusScan delete these Trojans. On the right hand side of the screen it says "I want to Use Restore to restore this item" Does Restore mean it will take it out of Quarantine without removing it? Why would I want to take a Trojan out of quarantine where it can cause me more trouble? I just want to get rid of it.

As an update, I ran VirusScan again, and it ran clean. When I clicked on the restore option, nothing was listed to be restored. The only trace if have that this ever happeded is it is listed in the Log. It shows the three Trojan entries as being Quarantined. I even did a search for one of the files (setupxv) and did not find it. I do have two possible options that may or may not work. One is to go to a previous system restore point, or restore the complete system using Acronis. I could do nothing and hope I do not have a sleeping dog in my system. I would appreciate your thoughts on this situation.

This is a second update to my problem
I linked up with a chat session with McAfee, and they said I should contact their service suport group to have them remove any virus I may have, for a charge of $89.95!!! What a bummer that is. I have no symptoms of a virus on my machine. I did a file search for one of the "Virus files" it showed in the details, and the search came up empty. I certainly don't want to spend $90 + chasing a trojan that many not even exist. The other option I have is to do a complete HD restore from an earlier backup using Acronis. However, I have a good working system and really don't want to bring on any new problems that may take everything down. I was really dissapointed with the support I received from McAfee on this one.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points