Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
5005 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2009 5:25 PM by Wuggy RSS
Wuggy Newcomer 60 posts since
Feb 19, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2009 9:26 PM

Trojan.FakeAlert scriptsn.dll EASIER FIX (I think)

Hey Everybody! I think I found a way to save pain for those who tried to remove the FakeAlert trojan with Malwarebytes' Free Anti-Maleware program and found their system behaving strangely afterward. I downloaded and ran the program earlier this evening, scanned for the first time and removed the following (as pasted from the log file):

Registry Keys Infected:[/B]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{7db2d5a0-7241-4e79-b68d-6309f01c5231} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7db2d5a0-7241-4e79-b68d-6309f01c5231} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.

It then occurred to me to do some research (!) on this pesky Trojan.FakeAlert. Apparently it gets in the way of Windows Update and louses up McAfee SecurityCenter so you can't update that either. Sure enough,

• My SecurityCenter panel came up blank when I attempted to open it from the Task Bar,
  • The window to Add/Remove McAfee SecurityCenter Program came up blank, and
  • Even the buttons at the McAfee Support web page didn't work anymore when I accessed the main McAfee Support window via my web browser. So I couldn't even access McAfee Technical Support.

So I came here to the McAfee Community Forum and found some recent advice here:

and here:

That all seemed labor intensive, and I'm a lazy bum, so instead of following instructions I clicked START...RUN and ran "Windows System File Checker" by typing the text inside the following brackets but without the brackets --> (sfc /scannow). That took about five minutes to finish by itself. Then I used good ol' Google to locate McAfee Virtual Technician:

1. https://us.mcafee.com/root/ProductUpdate.asp?cid=35172

If the link to MVT doesn't work from that page, open the following link #2 instead to bring up Virtual Technician by itself:

2. https://us.mcafee.com/root/mvtapp.exe

Follow the instructions as per the usual prompts. McAfee Virtual Technician found a whack of problems and fixed some of them the first time. But here's the beauty of it: web buttons worked properly again! So I then returned to McAfee Virtual Technician through the proper path via the following link #3,

3. http://home.mcafee.com/Root/Support.aspx?page=Support

...And McAfee Virtual Technician no longer finds any problems! Hiphip Hooray!

So here's my question for the McAfee Meisters on this board: Should I do anything else? My inclination is just to thank my lucky stars and leave Malwarebytes' software alone from now on. And if this helps others to get back on their feet a little quicker, it's worth it.

Thanks and regards, 'Wuggy'

Forgot to mention that the machine in question has McAfee Internet Security Suite 9.2.095 / VirusScan 13.0.232 / Firewall 10.0.209 running on XPSP2. I downloaded and ran MBAM as part of a security sweep with the intention of subsequently backing up the entire system and then upgrading to XPSP3. MBAM is now uninstalled and I am proceeding with the backup.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points