4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2017 1:45 PM by kevinpevans

Virus Scan not installing on clients

stuart.cookson@irwinmitchell.com

Hello, I am new to McAfee so apologies if this is a basic problem.

I have been asked to start looking after our McAfee estate.  We are currently using EPO 4.5.7 and Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8.  I've managed to get most servers up to date with the latest definitions, however, there are around 30 servers that have the agent installed but not the Virus Scan Engine console or On-Access Scan and On-Demand Scan that the other servers have.

I have found a deploy AV 8.8 client task that is assigned to a TAG and is set to run immediately.  I have assigned this tag to a couple of the 30 servers missing Virus Scan from within the System Tree but nothing has deployed to these servers yet.

Is there anything else I need to do in order to get Virus Scan installed and scanning on these 30 servers?  Are there any logs I can look through to try to find a reason why the install is not happening?

Any help is appreciated

Stuart

• 1. Re: Virus Scan not installing on clients
          catdaddy

Discussion successfully moved from Community Support to VirusScan Enterprise

Note: Moved out of the Moderation Queue.

• 2. Re: Virus Scan not installing on clients
            NMaurMcAfee

What other products are installed on the machine? Also what patch version of virusscan are you attempting to install and what OS version is the client running?

• 3. Re: Virus Scan not installing on clients
              stuart.cookson@irwinmitchell.com

I didn't realise that we had support with McAfee so logged a call with them.  The answer was that our agent and EPO are end of life which is why Virus Scan wouldn't install.  I still don't understand why it installed on some but not others even though they had the same version of agent.  The correct answer is to upgrade all agents and EPO to the latest version, a huge job.  We only use McAfee on legacy systems that are being retired so the firm are not going to want to go through a complicated upgrade process.

A work around was to get hold of a Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8 Patch 2 and install manually on the server.  After this force the agent to update from the agent properties and this picked up our EPO server and looks at the moment to be registering all details and also updating.

I'll check again in the morning that auto update happened overnight and will then push out to the remaining clients.

Thanks to those who replied

• 4. Re: Virus Scan not installing on clients
                kevinpevans

The problem was not that ePO or your VSE was end of life, the issue is the starting version (patch level), and then trying to install a much newer patch level.  There is a upgrade path to follow and I believe it is..

P1 toP2, P2 to P4, P4 to P7 or P9,  (P10 just came out yesterday). 

Also, failed installs such as this can be indicative of a broken agent.  The agent controls the update process, and instructs the other product to take a ePO assigned update and or patch.  If the agent is broken, it wont listen to any new instructions from the ePO and usually the fix is to reinstall the agent on top of itself (sometimes using the force install option).  Another potential issue is you may have assigned the tags, but haven't ran a "Run Tag Criteria" check on the system.  There is an option to have this run every ASCI (Agent to Server Communication Interval), and there is a option for "run only when a tag criteria task is ran".

VSE Upgrade Path

McAfee Corporate KB - Recommended upgrade paths for McAfee Agent, Host Intrusion Prevention, and VirusScan Enterprise K…

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB87328

Save this article..

McAfee Corporate KB - Supported platforms, environments, and operating systems, for VirusScan Enterprise KB51111

MA 4.8 Patch 3

MA 4.8 Patch 3

(build 4.8.0.x)

Not upgrading MA; only upgrading VSE

Upgrading MA 4.8 to 5.x

VSE 8.8 Patch 2

(build 8.8.0.975)

1. Upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 7.
                2. Reboot.1
                3. (Recommended) Upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 9.
                1. Check in the VSE 8.8 Patch 9 extension.2
                2. Upgrade to MA 5.0.6.
                3. Upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 7.
                4. Reboot.1
                5. Upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 9.
                VSE 8.8 Patch 3(build 8.8.0.1128)
                VSE 8.8 Patch 4(build 8.8.0.1247)
                1. Upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 9.
                2. Reboot.1
                1. Check in the VSE 8.8 Patch 9 extension.2
                2. Upgrade to MA 5.0.6.
                3. Upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 9.