5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2017 5:41 PM by techcat

Wi-Fi Under Attack (False Flag)

blendi123

Yesterday, I updated the McAfee app on my phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) and everything was working fine until I got home. As my phone is connecting to Wi-Fi, I am greeted by this message " Wi-Fi under attack 2.4 Hacker intercepting traffic - KARMA"

Screenshot_20171012-181414.png

I turned off my Wi-FI and spoke with a McAfee customer representative. I asked if this was a false flag since I had just updated the app, but they stated that something similar happened a few months earlier and that glitch was fixed. He asked me to do basic troubleshooting, but that did not solve anything.

I started to do a bit of research and came across different forums that suggested I change my router admin password along with the Wi-FI password. I restarted the phone after the changes, but still had the same problem. I decided to change the SSID on my router to remove the possibility of a MITM attack. I connected, but still no luck.

At this point I was confident that it was a false flag, but was wondering what was causing it. I connected to a Hotspot through another phone and the message dissapeared. That Wi-Fi connection was secure (at least according to the app).

I was almost out of ideas, until I remembered that my SSID's are hidden and that they have to be manually entered in. I log back in to the router GUI and change the SSID's to visible.

WOOALA! My Wi-Fi was suddenly showing as secure.

Screenshot_20171012-192237.png

Maybe this issue only affects the Galaxy S7 Edge, I'm not sure, but if you do come across this message, don't panic. It could be just a false flag.