6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2009 10:33 AM by m.taylor

Windows 7 upgrade

I have an HP laptop running HP Protect tools disk encryption under Vista. I have since learnt this is Safeboot rebranded. I have a copy of the encryption key/userid/password that I had saved up previously. This device is not a corporate or managed device.

Everything worked fine under Vista.

I ran the upgrade to Windows 7 beta the other day, and having never used Safeboot before was unaware it was not independant of the OS.

So when the upgrade process rebooted at the end to finsih the upgrade, I get
      "Missing Operating System"

I figured out this is becuase the Safeboot login screen process must have been removed during the windows 7 upgrade.

After digging around here I got a BartPE plugin with Wintech and got the laptop to boot from the USB drive into Wintech.

The first thing it asks for is a authroization code (which I dont have), and then a .dat userid file that i do have. After cancelling on the auth code and loading the autherntication file it shows authentucated but not authorized, and I get a message (which I didnt wite down) something to the effect that it cannot find the drive my authentication code references. The only drive I can see is the USB drive I am booting from.

Questions:

How do I get an authorizationg code for Wintech?
      If this works, will I be able to decrypt my hdd using Wintech ?

What other options do I have ?

Thanks

-Dave.
        • 1. RE: Windows 7 upgrade
          Hi Dave,

The HP version from SafeBoot is a standalone / special version of SafeBoot (or, Endpoint Encryption for PC), so to say..
          In short -- you should pick this up with HP techsupport, there's a site which they have handy for this though:

https://reg.safeboot-hp.com/

Regarding the "daily access code" -- this is a code which is designed for WinTech/SafeTech and the (original) EEPC version which is needed to grant access to some functions in Wintech/SafeTech.
          This code is requested at techsupport from mcafee, but in your situation I am not quite sure if you will need it..

Hope this helps.
          • 2. RE: Windows 7 upgrade
            To get it to work, you'd probably need SATA or appropriate drivers for your disk controller in the BartPE image as well?

If you can't see the drive at all (it should appear as unformatted in disk manager if it's encrypted but inaccessible), then it's a driver issue for sure.
            • 3. RE: Windows 7 upgrade
              Oh yeah... not that it helps here, but don't load a BETA on a machine you care about. It is also not a good idea to "upgrade" a system if you can avoid it. Always install fresh, you'll always end up better off in the long run.
              • 4. RE: Windows 7 upgrade
                Root cause here is that Windows 7 will modify/overwrite the MBR, which explains the original error message (the encryption needs a very specific MBR). This also explains why other OS upgrades/modifications can cause problems.

User will need the Authorization code in order to run the decrypt operation in WinTech.

The drive is not appearing because the PE tool doesn't have the necessary disk drivers. You can try to rebuild PE with the necessary drivers, or try going into the BIOS and swithing the disk mode to "legacy" or something similar (this works sometimes).
                • 5. Daily Access Code
                  Hi, I was on the phone to McAfee Support and they mentioned that there is an account I can set up with them so i can get the daily access codes with out ringing up?
                  Any one know about this?

Cheers, Kallum
                  • 6. RE: Daily Access Code
                    You'll need to get an account on McAfee's Technical Support Service Portal. McAfee Support should be able to set you up.