6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2017 7:30 AM by dstrange

ICAP CLIENT timeouts

dstrange

Hi, I have a scenario, where a file traversing the Web Gateway is transferred via ICAP to our device, once on our device it's processed, and returned to the Web Gateway for further checking / delivery to the end user.

My problem is that if the file is huge, the Web Gateway gives up on it before it is returned, and the end user never receives the file.

I am trying to find, somewhere, in the Web Gateway's settings that allow me to change the timeout.  I have found the settings under Configuration -> proxyies -> ICAP SERVER, but this only makes a difference if the Web Gateway is the ICAP server, it does not help when the Web Gateway is the ICAP CLIENT.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dominic

• 1. Re: ICAP CLIENT timeouts
          Jon Scholten

Whatup Dstrange,

There isnt a configurable timeout that I'm aware of, but... Sounds like you might want to use what called for here:

Re: Don´t wait for ICAP Server response

The MWG has properties for a background scan thats traditionally used for sandboxing, but it can be used for whatever you like. Since sandboxing can sometimes take time, we send it to the background and the user gets their file while MWG waits for the sandbox to finish.

In your situation, we could setup a background scan to initiate whenever a file is over a certain size, that way the user doesnt have to wait for the ICAP server to finish scanning.

Does that sound alright? Or would you prefer that the user has to wait until the ICAP server finishes scanning?

Best Regards,

Jon

• 2. Re: ICAP CLIENT timeouts
            dstrange

Hi Jon,

Unfortunately, the asyncronous method will not work for us, as our ICAP server will always modify the content, and we need the modified content delivered to the end user.

Many thanks

Dominic

• 3. Re: ICAP CLIENT timeouts
              Jon Scholten

Hi Dominic,

How long is the ICAP clientserver taking for reference?

Best Regards,

Jon

• 4. Re: ICAP CLIENT timeouts
                dstrange

Hi Jon,

Longest we've had so far is about 45 seconds, for a 10MB file, however, we could be presented with much bigger files.

Cheers

Dominic

• 5. Re: ICAP CLIENT timeouts
                  Jon Scholten

45 seconds and 10mb is rather small, I was thinking more like 45 minutes and 10gb.

Are we sure there is a timeout occurring? Are you seeing anything in the mwg-core.errors.log (Troubleshooting > Log Files > mwg-errors)? I'm wondering if the ICAP server might be erroring out in someway.

Best Regards,

Jon

• 6. Re: ICAP CLIENT timeouts
                    dstrange

Hi Jon,

I don't even have a mwg-core.errors.log file.

the only recent log files I have in Troubleshooting > Log Files >  are mwg-errors are mwg-ui-errors

the last dated mwg-core.errors.log is dated 22/8/17  even though I've experienced the error today.

Cheers

Dominic