1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2017 8:23 AM by kmc

DAT update from fallback site

santoshsharma

To test whether client machine can take update from fallback http site through proxy in case EPO server not reachable ,I had disabled EPO repository and only fallback repository is enabled so that client will take the update from fallback site.

Its working when i am manually trigerring the update from Client but this is not happening automatically during next agent communication.

What i need to do so that this thing can happen automatically instead of manually

• 1. Re: DAT update from fallback site
          santoshsharma

PLzzzzzzzzzzz update anyone

• 2. Re: DAT update from fallback site
            Moe Hassan

Did you configure and schedule McAfee agent update task?

• 3. Re: DAT update from fallback site
              kmc

agent communication is different from DAT updates, updates should be scheduled.

• 4. Re: DAT update from fallback site
                santoshsharma

Hi,

Thanks for the update..

You want to say i need to schedule the DAT update and client will take the update in the order in which repository is created and if no repository is available then it will take the update from fallback site.There is no automatic way of update other than scheduling it.Is my understanding os correct?

Which task i need run for scheduling the update?

• 5. Re: DAT update from fallback site
                  Moe Hassan

Santosh, please go to Client Task Catalog > McAfee Agent > Product Update. This is where you can schedule update tasks.

• 6. Re: DAT update from fallback site
                    kmc

1. If global updating is enabled, distributed repositories update managed systems automatically, as soon

as selected updates and packages are checked in to the Master Repository. Update tasks are not

necessary. However, if you want automatic updating, create SuperAgents in your environment. Create

and configure repositories and the update tasks.

2. Consider you case: you want use fallback site directly instead of the distributed repository, in this case i believe there is no automation required, only thing is you have to enable fallback and proxy settings. the flow goes like this

-->agent server communcation happens

-->agent founds with thee help of updated sitelist file that there is a new DAT checked in to it

-> agent will try to update DAT from available repository

-> If managed systems can’t access the distributed repositories or the master repository, they retrieve updates

from the fallback site. (this works when ePO server available and repositories are unavailable)

Consider when ePO it's self is not available, ePO server goes down for a considerable time, let's say two days. The Distributed Repositories are out-of-date because no replication took place,becaise of no agent server communication so no updated Sitelist is available. agent will not have any idea about the latest DAT but assuming that their current (out-of-date) SiteStat.xml is outdated and start downloading their updates from the McAfee HTTP fallback repository but i dont think its very reliable.

• 7. Re: DAT update from fallback site
                      Haaris Faizan

So by configuring schedule update task it will take update automatically and not by agent server communication?

• 8. Re: DAT update from fallback site
                        santoshsharma

I still have doubts..

If managed systems can’t access the distributed repositories or the master repository, they retrieve updates

from the fallback site. (this works when ePO server available and repositories are unavailable.

So for taking the update from fallback site i need to schedule update or it will take automatically from fallback site during next agent server communication because in my testing environment i checked when i am doing manually from client side then only its taking the update and not automatically durimg the next agent server communication

• 9. Re: DAT update from fallback site
                          kmc

When the agent sever communication happens the main priority is to share and collect information from the ePO to agent and vice versa, when agent gets updated files it compares with its own if there is new DAT available then agent will start looking for DAT from available repo or ePO.

1 2 Previous Next