7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 12:58 PM by gno

Unable to updat DATs on ePO Server, nor install any patches !

gno

I have 1 ePO Server ( 5.3.1 with Server 2012 R2 )  my McAfee Agent is 5.0.4.  I can only install ( version wise ) what is available on DISA Patch Repository ( ePO 5.3.1 / MAgent 5.0.4  VSE 8.8 P8 )

I am on a closed network ( Gov. ) with no access to the internet  so everything is done manually.  I do not have use of software Manager .  I can still update my clients thru ePO server , they are all MAgent 5.0.4 and VSE 8.8 P8 with latest DAT. 

My problem is:  I cannot update my DATs or VSE ( used command line to remove VSE / then installed / checked in VSE 8.8 P8 into master repository and extensions respectfully ) Now its hit or miss if VSE even installs....when it does install it doesn't work ( issues listed )  I am being told by DISA help desk to wipe everything and start all over.  There has to be something less final ?    Everything was working great for months ( when I took over as HBSS Admin ) I had to upgrade ePO from 5.3.0 to 5.3.1  VSE from 8.8 patch 4 to patch 8 and McAfee Agent 5.0.2 to 5.0.4 with no issues.  

• 2. Re: Unable to updat DATs on ePO Server, nor install any patches !
          Moe Hassan

Hi Gino,

Welcome to McAfee forum. Do you have a daily DAT update task running and is assigned on your system tree? What happens when you select systems and run that task manually? What are the defined repositories on your McAfee agent policy and what branch?

• 3. Re: Unable to updat DATs on ePO Server, nor install any patches !
            gno

Yes I have a daily task and I can run manually as in create a task and select " run immediately "  or I can ad new DAT to Master Repository as " current " and then thru my system tree select my clients and then actions and run a update and clients update to latest DAT.  I use only the master repository , I support less than 50 clients.  

• 4. Re: Unable to updat DATs on ePO Server, nor install any patches !
              Moe Hassan

Ok. I'm going to assume a few things here given your particular scenario:

You manually download DAT file from McAfee > You then manually check in to ePO. Is this correct?

You said you have a scheduled update task defined in your system tree. What is the specific time? It matters especially since you are manually checking in DAT files. What time do you normally check-in your DAT file? Would it be possible to schedule your task some time AFTER that?

I *think* your issue may be scheduling / timing. If lets say you've already checked in current DAT, next scheduled update task runs yet DATs are NOT updated, then it's worth further investigation, checking logs or perhaps open a support case with McAfee.

In your system tree, please go to tab "Assigned Client Tasks", is your update task visible in here?

• 5. Re: Unable to updat DATs on ePO Server, nor install any patches !
                gno

Yes i manually check in DATs , The task I have created is set for 1230 am , I check in DATs every Wednesday afternoon between 1 PM and 4 PM

I cannot open a case with McAfee , I am only able to utilize DOD ( DISA ) HBSS Help Desk ,  and you read their suggestion. 

I really appreciate your patience.  I also forgot to add I am very new to this field, was a A+ type IT support for a few years and had limited network / server experience.  So am sure my limited experience is adding to this some how.  

• 6. Re: Unable to updat DATs on ePO Server, nor install any patches !
                  andrep1

If you go in epo, there is something called "client event". Have a look at the client events for one of you system that is not updating to have a better idea of what is happening.

There was an issue with patch 7 that was signed with a new certificate, it would create installation issue because the code signing certificate could not be validate. This is the type of issue that happens in segregated networks or where access to the internet is restricted. So if the managed devices certificate store has not been updated you can see issue like that.

See this kb and search for "certificate"

McAfee Corporate KB - VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 Known Issues KB70393

• 7. Re: Unable to updat DATs on ePO Server, nor install any patches !
                    gno

Thank you

I will check out the " client event" , but my problem is not updating any of my clients....its only updating my DATs on the McAfee Agent\ VSE 8.8 that resides on my ePO server.  I have removed McAfee Agent and / or VSE to include any files\ folders or registry entries and have reinstalled using frame package created on my ePO or reinstalling using ePO to automate the process.