4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 10:31 AM by msmth218

ePO 5.3 to 5.9 Migratation to new VM running Server 2016

msmth218

We currently are running ePO 5.3 on a VM with Server 2008.  We have stood up another VM running Server 2016 that will be our new ePO server and looking to run ePO 5.9.  The new server will reuse the hostname and ip address as the old one.  I have backed up sql database as well and also will be upgrading SQL server to 2016.  Should I restore from snapshot on the new server during the 5.9 installation as the version 5.3 is not compatible on Windows Server 2016, and will I run into any issues?  What is the best practice for this migration?

• 1. Re: ePO 5.3 to 5.9 Migratation to new VM running Server 2016
          Moe Hassan

Hi msmth218, there are many options you can take. Your approach (option B below) is fine as long as it's well planned, double checked for everything to minimize disruption. Be ready for some troubleshooting if things go wrong.

Option - A: Setup and install ePO with new database at new cluster. Register each server and "transfer" your systems/policies/tasks everything. The new server can be 5.9.0. Here's a quick plan of action:

1. Install ePO 5.9.0 on new server

2. Register each other ePO servers (both 5.3 and 5.9.0). Exchange security keys.

3. You can now enable system/policy/task sharing and start the transfer process.

4. Monitor progress and continue the migration.

5. When everything (all systems, tasks, policies etc) has been transferred and clients are communicating successfully, you can focus on the new server.

DON'T turn off the old server just yet. Give it a little time to see if there's anything that's still trying to communicate to the old server. Or you may discover something... just leave it running for a little while.

This approach is a little lengthy but works well.

Option - B:

1. Upgrade the current 5.3 to 5.9 on the SAME server.

2. Setup the NEW 5.9 epo server. When you install, ePO will point to a blank database.

3. Now that BOTH servers are running 5.9 you can IMPORT the database on the NEW server, then turn off the old one. Be sure to use same dns name, ip address and everything for least disruption.

• 2. Re: ePO 5.3 to 5.9 Migratation to new VM running Server 2016
            msmth218

Moe,

Thank you for your response.  I currently shutdown the old server but have a backup of that OS.  Does the old server need to be online if I'm installing ePO 5.9 on the new server and have a snapshot of the ePO database?  I will be reusing the old server hostname and ip on the new server.  Basically, what i'm hoping to accomplish is installing 5.9 on the new server and restore from snapshot from the old server(offline) that was running 5.3?  Will there be issues using the database that was used for 5.3 during the 5.9 installation on the new server if the server is using the same name and ip?

• 3. Re: ePO 5.3 to 5.9 Migratation to new VM running Server 2016
              Moe Hassan

Does the old server need to be online if I'm installing ePO 5.9 on the new server and have a snapshot of the ePO database? > It really depends on what approach you are taking. If you shutdown the old server, you can still setup the new one but your operation will be disrupted. Your workstations and clients will get updates, policies or tasks. It's not what you want. You want to minimize downtime. In a perfect scenario, you setup your new server independently while old one is still online. One day when you feel you are ready (after a successful database restore), you can shut down old server and turn on the new one. Before doing this, I would of course login on the new server, check credentials, make sure all the "keys" are there, systems are there. Basically you want to ensure your database restore is a success.

Using 5.3 database to restore on 5.9 installation? > While it *MAY* work, I do not recommend it. You want to do it gracefully. ePO upgrade may change database tables/schema. So you trying to restore a 5.3 database on a 5.9 may or may not work, may create issues. You can still take your approach but my suggestion would be this. - upgrade the current 5.3 to 5.9 on SAME server, then import 5.9 backup on the new 5.9 server. . OR setup a new 5.3 (NOT 5.9) server, then restore database and THEN upgrade the new 5.3 server to 5.9.

This approach is little riskier but quicker than method A as suggested earlier. Be prepared to troubleshoot, especially if planning and execution doesn't go well.

I'm not sure what entitlements you have with McAfee, but if you have resources/support from them, you can use McAfee "Professional Services" to handle this complex project. They will not only perform the upgrade but will also probably do tune ups, performance improvement, knowledge transfer and all the good stuffs.

• 4. Re: ePO 5.3 to 5.9 Migratation to new VM running Server 2016
                msmth218

Moe,

Thank you...I will just go ahead bring online the old server and upgrade to 5.9 and then import to the new server with 5.9.