7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 3:20 PM by d_aloy

Can't connect to RMM after ATD upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0

mcafee16v

Hello,

I recently upgraded my ATD 3.6 appliance to 4.0. I was able to talk to it via RMM before the upgrade.  Because this is a lab ATD, I changed the IP address scheme to a 10.x.x.x subnet.

Here's the IP info:

• ATD-3000 IP: 10.10.10.50
      • BMC: 10.10.10.51
      • RMM: 10.10.10.52

The documentation made no mention of configuring the BMC and I don't remember if it had an IP address to begin with. I even changed it to 0.0.0.0 and dynamic without any luck.  I used the original RMM IP to install the ATD_4.0.msu file so I know it worked before.

Lastly, I have two Ethernet cables connected to the ATD: Port 1 and RMM management port.

I've even bypassed any networking equipment and went straight from my laptop to the respective connections. I can get to the ATD web page but no RMM off of either connection.

Do I have to enable any ports on the ATD appliance to use the RMM?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Jose

• 1. Re: Can't connect to RMM after ATD upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0
          d_aloy

Hey mcafee16

Did you get you Win7 installed on 3.6 at the end, or you gonna try on 4.0?

Anyways...let us know.

For the OOB ATD config... I can't find it on the KB but I do believe 1 of the 4xRJ45 is the one..top right or left I believe..let us know

Cheers

David

• 2. Re: Can't connect to RMM after ATD upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0
            mcafee16v

Hello David,

I did not get Win 7 installed with Office 2013 apps and decided to rebuild my ATD to 4.0 and then deploy it "as-is" later this week.

I did come across a lot of KBs and other resources that described the RMM connections and only mentioning giving it an IP address.

I have a cable in the two highlighted connections in the image above.

I tried pinging the RMM IP with no response.  Should I be able to ping the RMM IP?

• 3. Re: Can't connect to RMM after ATD upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0
              d_aloy

Hi Jose

Did you get this working?

If you get a crossover cable from your PC to each port, and you configure an IP on your PC within the same range, can you ping each of the three interfaces?

Also, is there a reason for the three ports to be on the same segment? Have you configured the network gateway on all three? Not sure if this will cause routing issues maybe? Any chance to set them on 3 different segments and default gw?

Let us know.

Cheers

David

• 4. Re: Can't connect to RMM after ATD upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0
                mcafee16v

Hello David,

Thanks for the follow-up. Your different segment comment had me wonder if it was a routing issue.  I went back to the server, put the RMM cable on a different port on the switch and configured it as DHCP. Sure enough, I managed to access the RMM.

Maybe I just didn't understand this server. From what I read, I thought the ATD server and the RMM were effectively two separate boards within the same box. I assumed they could be within the same subnet and wouldn't be a routing issue.

This is a lab server. What if I wanted both connections on the same segment? How would I configure it? Would I leave the RMM gateway as 0.0.0.0? I guess I could try it to see what happens.

Let me know.

Thanks for the follow-up and resolution to my problem.

Jose

• 5. Re: Can't connect to RMM after ATD upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0
                  d_aloy

Hey Jose

Stop working... is weekend! At least here...;)

In a prod environment, why would you want the RMM card on the same segment as the Mgmt one? You would only configure that for redundancy, so it makes no sense I think?

Both cards on the same segment...I'm not sure, I would need to test it. Maybe set the GW on one NIC and then a static route to the same GW on the other one? But again, I don't see the logic on this setup for a prod environment - you still have a single point of failure, which is the same GW on both cards.

I would imagine the docs would suggest/recommend a best practice config for the cards...but since I don't use ATD, I haven't read the guides!

Let us know if you find anything else.

Cheers and have a good one.

David

• 6. Re: Can't connect to RMM after ATD upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0
                    mcafee16v

Absolutely- it is the weekend soon!

I completely understand  why you would want different segments in a production environment. This is a lab server  though and I do not have extensive routing control. In addition, I setup training environments for customers and would prefer to keep as much as possible on an isolated subnet (ex. 10.10.10.x/24).

I can give the routing a try now that I know I can access my RMM again.

Thanks again for your help.

Stop checking community posts my friend! Have a great weekend!

• 7. Re: Can't connect to RMM after ATD upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0
                      d_aloy

It's just this annoying LED on my phone telling me there is new email somewhere....

Anyway... If it is not yet weekend for you.... maybe you can try getting that Win7 image with no swap file and office installed! .... lol

Cheers

David