5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2017 3:42 PM by d_aloy

Win7 AVM disk size

mcafee16v

Hello,

I'm building a Win7 Pro (x64) AVM for an ATD 3.6 appliance.

The ATD 3.6 product guide describes setting the maximum disk space to 14GB.  However, I am trying to install Office 2013 on the AVM too but I'm getting an error saying not enough disk space.

Why is the maximum disk space for this AVM 14GB when I can't even install Office 2013?

Is a larger disk space supported?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Jose

• 1. Re: Win7 AVM disk size
          d_aloy

Hi José

What's the free disk space after the win7 install?

What components of office are you trying to install? Is it a custom install(i.e. word, excel, powepoint) or are you going for a full package with all the extra bits?

Have you checked this post? It may help

McAfee Sandbox - Creating a custom Advanced Threat Defense OS image

Also, why use 3.6 when 4.0 is out? There is newer builds that will provide fixed to known issues on that build and some extra features.

In any case, let us know how you get on

Regards

David

• 2. Re: Win7 AVM disk size
            mcafee16v

Hello David- Thanks for the quick follow-up.  See my comments below:

What's the free disk space after the win7 install?

After Win 7,Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash, .NET 4.6, Java JRE, and the MS Visual C++ requirements, I have 1.09 GB disk space available only after cleaning up the disk.

What components of office are you trying to install? Is it a custom install(i.e. word, excel, powepoint) or are you going for a full package with all the extra bits?

I tried to just install Excel, Word, PowerPoint but Office says I need 2 GB free disk space.

Have you checked this post? It may help.

I did but this is for a WINXP machine and is an off-the-cuff installation from 2014 which is a bit outdated and describes manual tasks that the validation tool does now.

Also, why use 3.6 when 4.0 is out? There is newer builds that will provide fixed to known issues on that build and some extra features.

We still have a 3.6 appliance in our lab that I'm using for testing. I have a 4.0 vATD too but this is my first time trying to deploy to an ATD so I wanted a reference to know the differences.  I did see the documentation between the two releases was very different so I didn't want to confuse myself anymore than I needed to so I just stuck with the the 3.6 appliance.

• 3. Re: Win7 AVM disk size
              d_aloy

Hi Jose

How much is allocated for swap space on the OS?

Do you know how much you need to install those components?

Cheers

David

• 4. Re: Win7 AVM disk size
                mcafee16v

Win 7 shows it is allocating 1.452 MB (1.4 GB) of virtual memory.

MS Office says it needs 2GB to install Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.

Maybe I should just move on from trying to install this AVM on a 3.6 appliance if it going to be a headache. Nothing against you but the time spent trying to build an AVM is a lot and running into a disk space limitation is quite discouraging.

Jose

• 5. Re: Win7 AVM disk size
                  d_aloy

Optimize the Paging File in Windows 7/8/8.1

Try reducing the swap file size, reboot the VM, and try getting the Office components installed.

It should work ....

Cheers

David