8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 1:34 PM by brentil

McAfee ENS and VSE

nsaman

Hi,

We are looking to build a new epo environment (v5.9) and we would like to use the latest version of ENS 10.5.x.  Since the latest version of ENS does not support server Windows Server 2008, we will need to use VSE 8.8.x. my question is, from ePO side, can we check-in ENS and VSE so that we can deploy VSE onto windows server 2008 and ENS onto Windows Server 2008 R2 or greater?

• 1. Re: McAfee ENS and VSE
          Dutchman39

EnS 10.2 supports Win 2008 (R1).

Have you considered running both versions (to {at least} keep an EnS platform across the board?

Or do you also have 2003 (or below) which would then mandate VSE8.8?

(Granted, I'm on 5.3.2 - still planning my 5.9 migration)

• 2. Re: McAfee ENS and VSE
            nsaman

Thanks for this information. I agree. I will check in ENS 10.2 to support my windows 2008 servers and 10.5 to support the other OS that are compatible.

• 3. Re: McAfee ENS and VSE
              nsaman

Dutchman39,

I see that ENS 10.2 does support windows server 2008 but version 10.2.1 does not. is there is exploit with ENS 10.2 and a hotfix or a patch is release, will it support windows server 2008? I am trying to position these servers so that they can still receive software update if needed.

• 4. Re: McAfee ENS and VSE
                nsaman

Dutchman39,

I see that ENS 10.2 does support windows server 2008 but version 10.2.1 does not. is there is exploit with ENS 10.2 and a hotfix or a patch is release, will it support windows server 2008? I am trying to position these servers so that they can still receive software update if needed.

• 5. Re: McAfee ENS and VSE
                  Dutchman39

You are correct, sir.

In fact, I owe you, for pointing that out to me.

I hadn't noticed that before. (Oops/sorry)

In my test environment, I am currently using 10.2.1 (with an exception for one box to 10.2 {thanks again}) AND VS 88/P9.

I use different tags to assign the appropriate deployment task to the systems.

If it weren't for a mandated 2003 support level, I would have dropped 88 a while ago.

• 6. Re: McAfee ENS and VSE
                    nsaman

thanks for the info.  just to summarize and please correct me if I am wrong, but when we build the new epo 5.9, it looks like we will need to use ENS 10.5 for windows server 2008 R2 and newer and for the servers that are running windows server 2008, we will use VSE 8.8. is that correct?  and it looks like, they can coexist on the same ePO (ENS and VSE). correct? 

• 7. Re: McAfee ENS and VSE
                      Dutchman39

Seems reasonable.

Good luck.

• 8. Re: McAfee ENS and VSE
                        brentil

Both of your assumptions are correct.  You're better off running VSE 8.8 for your older systems as it still gets security updates where ENS 10.2 has been replaced by newer versions that resolve security issues in it.  So if you were running ENS 10.2 you would be introducing known security issues to those systems.

Also you can run VSE and ENS from the same ePO installation, you just have to configure their policies separate from each other as they're not shared.

1 of 1 people found this helpful