2 Svar Siste svar den Jul 16, 2017 11:40 AM av Hayton

WedAdvisor gone bezerk?

hjelp666

I recently updated my subscription in hopes that it'd let me access the sites that my webadvisor had deemed too dangerous to open, such as yahoo mail, youtube, etsy and even mcafees own sites. it worked for a brief moment after a lot of effort, but this morning i wasn't allowed into my email once again. Are they really such a threat? Is there an actual danger on mcafees own sites thats so uncontained that i shouldn't be on there, and how do i fix it as soon as possible? It has been like this for approximately two weeks. I'll be calling the customer service first thing tomorrow if the problem doesn't solve itself or if i dont get the desired help from here, but even so i am depending on my computer and need it functioning as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: WedAdvisor gone bezerk?
          Peter M

Go to your Programs and Features and uninstall McAfee WebAdvisor, then go HERE and download a fresh copy.

That might fix it after a reboot.

WebAdvisor will often warn you when you know it's OK, telling it to proceed usually will stop that behaviour on that particular website.

Customer Service can't help you with that but Technical Support maybe can.

• 2. Re: WedAdvisor gone bezerk?
            Hayton

hjelp666 do you want to leave this in the Norwegian Support group (for non-English language posts) or would you prefer it to be moved to the WebAdvisor section, where you will probably receive more help than here?

I've given this some thought and it seems unlikely that WebAdvisor would behave like this on a clean system. You may have a malware infection of some sort.

First, though, we need basic information

1 - You are in Norway? What is your ISP?

2. - What Operating System (and version) have you got?

3 - What browser are you using?

4 - What version of WebAdvisor is installed (also check add-ons/extensions in Chrome and Firefox if you use them).

5 - Are you connecting to the internet using wi-fi or cable? If wi-fi, do you only have a problem at home, or (if this iis a mobile device) when connecting to the internet somewhere else?

Now, a couple of things that should rule out obvious problems :

1 - Have you tried resetting your router? It's easy for someone to plant malware on a router with a default user-id/password combination. Resetting the router should give you enough time to go in and change the password.

2 - In WebAdvisor, have you tried whitelisting the sites you mention?

The two possibilities I am considering are that DNS poisoning is taking place, or else URL-redirection. if one of those is to blame, this might be malware, or just adware. I assume you have run a McAfee Scan? You might also need to run Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, and one or two other programs, to check for adware (for instance) that a McAfee Scan might overlook.