1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 6:25 AM by kirkside

Query to find Client Tasks?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find it.

I have EPO 4.5, McAfee Agent 4.5.0.1270 (mostly), and a bad habit of forgetting to delete Client Tasks when they're no longer needed. Like if I find a machine @ VSE 8.0, I'll create a single instance of a Product Deployment task to remove 8.0 and install 8.5. Works great most of the time, but once it's at 8.5, unless I remember to delete that task soon enough, it's going to have that task there until I happen across that machine again.

Bearing in mind that I KNOW I should be better about cleaning up after myself, is there any way to search for existing tasks on my clients? I've tried building a custom query, but I don't see any way to do it.

Thanks for any help!

Brett
        • 1. RE: Query to find Client Tasks?
          i'm sure there is a way to query for that but you could also create the tasks you normally create at the org level in a disabled state - then just break inheritance and enable them on specific machines when you find them. That way you'll be able to see every place where inheritance for the task has been broken...

Andrew
          • 2. RE: Query to find Client Tasks?
            That's a great idea, Andrew. Thanks! I'll do that, going forward. At least that will help keep me from orphaning future tasks...
            • 3. RE: Query to find Client Tasks?
              harris_s
              I had to do this just last week, you will need some basic SQL skills. Firstly download SQL Server Management Studio Express, this will enable you to look at the ePO SQL tables and perform most SQL functions. You then need to go to the EPOTask table, this table lists all the tasks, most are default to a clean install. You can then crossreference the task to the PC it relates to by looking at the ParentID field and matching it to the same field in the EPOComputerProperties table. You could write a simple select statement to find out which tasks belong to which computers if you are so inclined :D

I've found a good idea is to create groups at the top of the system tree like 'Install VSE 8.5' or 'Remove VSE 8.5' then move PC(s) in to that group. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is whether to 'Disable System Tree sorting on these systems', 'Enable System Tree sorting on these systems' or 'Do not change the System Tree sorting status for any of these systems' when moving the PC(s). Ideally I want the task to be performed on the PC(s) and for the PC to remain in it's correct system tree group governed by the Active Directory sync. :confused:

Hope this helps.
              • 4. RE: Query to find Client Tasks?
                Thanks - "basic SQL skills" isn't on my resume, but that didn't stop me from giving it a whirl! I got the mgmt studio up and running, connected to my EPOserver, but I'm not seeing individual tasks listed anywhere under the table "dbo.EPOTask".

This is not a critical issue for me, by any means, but now you've got my curiosity piqued. Am I missing something here, or should I go collar one of the SQL nerds we have here at my office? (no offense to any SQL nerds)
                • 5. RE: Query to find Client Tasks?
                  ok I just tried to throw this together quickly - try this query - just change the taskname you are looking for (you'd have to use some sort of consistent naming). Note this works for ePO 4.5:

select TaskName, Nodename from epotask, epoleafnode, epocomputerproperties
                  where
                  epotask.parentid = epoleafnode.parentid
                  and
                  epoleafnode.autoid = epocomputerproperties.parentid
                  and
                  taskname like 'test%'
                  order by nodename

output will look something like:
                  TaskName Nodename
                  Test 87 Task 1 TEST-PC
                  Test 87 Task 2 TEST-PC

Andrew
                  • 6. RE: Query to find Client Tasks?
                    had a typo in that last one - try this for tasks assigned directly to a specific machine:

select TaskName, Nodename from epotask, epoleafnode, epocomputerproperties
                    where
                    epotask.parentid = epoleafnode.autoid
                    and
                    epoleafnode.autoid = epocomputerproperties.parentid
                    and
                    taskname like 'test%'
                    order by nodename

Andrew
                    • 7. RE: Query to find Client Tasks?
                      Oh, that is BRILLIANT! I've got orphaned tasks named like "850machine1", "850machine2", etc. so with '850%' I just found 26 that I can remove. Sweeeet.

Thank you thank you thank you!
                      • 8. Re: RE: Query to find Client Tasks?

Is something similar also possible in ePolicy 3.6.1?

• 9. Re: RE: Query to find Client Tasks?
                          GWIRT

You'd just have to change the table names....this should work.

select TaskName, Nodename from task, leafnode, computerproperties
                          where
                          task.parentid = leafnode.autoid
                          and
                          leafnode.autoid = computerproperties.parentid
                          and
                          taskname like 'test%'
                          order by nodename

1 2 Previous Next