Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
6343 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2010 9:46 AM by jconaghan RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Newcomer 10 posts since
Jul 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2009 3:47 PM

Upgrading ePO from 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5

OK so we will be, very soon, upgrading ePO from 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5. Approximately 6+ months ago I attended a training for install & config epo 4.0 in which the instructor stated that if you want to perform the most efficient and fail-safe way to stand up the new instance of ePO, then you really don't want to perform an in-place upgrade; rather the wisest course of action is to stand up another server in parallel, install ePO 4.5 on it, then reroute all the clients to the new server by redirecting them to the master repository on the newer server. He made it look so easy, but I still can't remember how he did it. Anyone? Bueller?...Bueller?...

10/22: OK so I did some more searching through my notes and it's called a side by side upgrade. Instructs are as follows:

Prepare the ePO 3.6.1 Server
1. Add the same agent version that the ePO 4.5 server has.
2. Disable all replication and pull tasks.
3. Remove all the agent files from the master repository and replace them with the files from the master repository from the new ePO 4.5 server

Prepare the ePO 4.5 server:
1. Configure the new ePO 4.5 server to manage the distributed repositories of the old ePO 3.6.1 server.
2. Replicate the Master Repository of the new ePO 4.5 server to all distributed repositories.
3. Configure the System Tree, sorting, policies and tasks on the new ePO 4.5 server.

Configure Agent Deployment task
1. On the old ePO 3.6.1 server, edit the deployment task to install only the McAfee agent
2. Configure the Deployment task to "Run Immediately"
3. Send an agent wake-up call to agents
4. The agents will install either from the old ePO 3.6.1 server or the closest distributed repository that is managed by the new ePO 4.5 server.
5. You may desire to have the agents install only from the distributed repositories.

Having said all that, has anyone done this and does it work as advertized?
  • Sk1dMARK Apprentice 104 posts since
    Feb 23, 2007
    1. Oct 29, 2009 9:26 AM (in response to jconaghan)
    RE: Upgrading ePO from 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5
    I too am planning to deploy ePO 4.5 soon. My plan is as follows:

1.) Install ePO 4.5 and supporting infrastructure (distributed repositories, etc...) on new and separate hardware to the current 3.6.1 infrastructure.

2.) Create my system tree with sorting based on IP address (as 3.6.1 currently).

3.) Use AD sync to pull in machines only (not AD structure).

4.) Use the deployment task to deploy the new ePO 4.5 agent to the systems. As this agent is a newer version than my current (3.6.0.608), it should install over top without issue and then the client machines will use the new ePO 4.5 server and infrastructure.

In my mind, this is the simplest method and leaves my current 3.6.1 infrastructure intact and, in case of issues, I can manually roll the client machines back by deploying the current 3.6.0.608 agent with the /forceinstall switch via SMS, if nothing else.

I hope this helps you make a decision on the best course of action for your environment.

Regards,

Mark
  • Newcomer 37 posts since
    Apr 5, 2007
    2. Oct 30, 2009 9:10 AM (in response to Sk1dMARK)
    RE: Upgrading ePO from 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5
    is ther a documentation to indicate how to migrate au EPO3.6.1 with mssql 2000 to EPO45 with mssql 2005?

EPO 4 patch 3 in test with 10 agents and viruscan 8.7
    EPO 3.6.1.patch 3 with 7500 agents over 700 sites (viruscan 8.5 patch 5 and some viruscan 8.7)
  • Sailendra Pamidi McAfee SME 376 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    3. Nov 4, 2009 8:06 AM (in response to abougeard)
    Re: RE: Upgrading ePO from 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5

abougeard wrote:

is ther a documentation to indicate how to migrate au EPO3.6.1 with mssql 2000 to EPO45 with mssql 2005?

You can first migrate the ePO 3.6.1 Patch 4 database to the SQL 2005 Server (using backup & restore) and point it to use the newly restored copy (using cfgnaims.exe).

Then follow the instructions in the ePO 4.5 Installation guide page 18 to complete the upgrade to ePO 4.5.

Hope that helps.

• bburwell Newcomer 72 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    4. Nov 4, 2009 11:55 AM (in response to jconaghan)
    Re: Upgrading ePO from 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5

I am about to do the SQL 2000 -> SQL 2005 in epo 3.6.1 in preparation for going to epo 4.5.

I see that I can use backup/restore to move the database. Any reason not to use the SQL Studio detach (from sql2000) and then attach (sql2005)?

Just wondered if anyone had done this.

Nov 3, 2009
    5. Nov 4, 2009 12:06 PM (in response to bburwell)

You can use attach & detach from sql 2000 to sql 2005 - be aware that once you detach and attach, the database is upgraded to 2005 version and there is no way to revert to sql 2000 version if you need to do that at a later stage.

Also, the compatibility mode should be 80 after the detach & attach to sql 2005.

• Newcomer 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    6. Nov 5, 2009 5:06 AM (in response to jconaghan)

We managed our ePO upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 the following way (includes moving to new server "hardware" - vmware):

1. Rollout of a new vmware and installing ePO 3.6.1 with the same patch level as the production environment
    2. moving a copy of the database to a mssql 2005 instance (compatibility mode must be sql 2000!!)
    3. copying the DB-Directory to the new ePO 3.6.1 Server and changing the ip address in server.ini, then starting the new ePO
    4. Install Patch 4 for ePO 3.6.1
    5. Upgrade to ePO 4.5
    6. taking neccesary changes like policies, client and server tasks, notifications, adding products and extensions
    7. testing with some systems
    8. changing the ip address of the old ePO installation in server.ini to the new ePO server - from now on all systems connecting to the old server will be "forwarded" to the new one

we had some trouble with the client tasks (deployment and updates) (because they refered to VIRUSSCAN8000), so we had to delete references to VIRUSCAN8000 directly in the databases and recreated the client tasks. if you use system compliance profiler 1.x you have to uninstall these old version (e.g. with epo deployment tasks) before changing to ePO 4.5

Andi

• bburwell Newcomer 72 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    7. Nov 5, 2009 11:37 AM (in response to abraeu)

Just wanted to share my pain.. yesterday I moved my epo 3.6.1 SQL database from SQL Server 2000 to 2005. I used SQL Studio Management to detach, find the files (mdf and ldf), copy the files to the SQL 2005 server and then reattach

Problems I ran into included:

1) when I went to reattach I got an error that the proposed new database owner already existed on my 2005 server. Note this was an error BUT the attach worked (it didn't tell me that the attach had indeed worked!)

2) I had the usual SQL grief with users in the database versus in the server (and I was using NT authentication)

3) The killer was that my epo server happily restarted after all the gyrations BUT I couldn't login. epo.log had similar to this error:

Unable to dynamically obtain MS SQL Server password. Using 9999; change property epo.default.db.port if this is not correct.

Look in KB51659 for the solution. Basically I had to tell epo to use the default SQL port number I was using (and we picked the default.)

------------------------------------------------------------

My quandry for moving from 3.6.1 to 4.5: I have a new server to install 4.5 on. I was going to do a fresh 4.5 install on the new server, keep the new server with the same name as the old server (rename the old server first) and when I install 4.5 tell the installer where the 3.6.1 database is.

We don't have any replication servers (only about 500 clients.)

Nov 3, 2009
    8. Nov 5, 2009 1:42 PM (in response to bburwell)

My quandry for moving from 3.6.1 to 4.5: I have a new server to install 4.5 on. I was going to do a fresh 4.5 install on the new server, keep the new server with the same name as the old server (rename the old server first) and when I install 4.5 tell the installer where the 3.6.1 database is.

We don't have any replication servers (only about 500 clients.)

Unfortunately, pointing an ePO 4.5 installation to use an ePO 3.6.1 database does not work - since the schema is largely different and was not meant to be backward compatible.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)