7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 10:21 AM by RMCCULLO

ePO 4.5 + SQL 2008 Express Fresh Install for Dummies?

All,

I'm trying to install ePO 4.5 on a Windows 2008 x64 server and thing are not going as planned. I wanted to take advantage of the automatic SQL server install (and, I assumed, configuration) of the ePO installer, but the SQL version included (2005 Express, no SP) is not compatible with x64. This leaves me with installing a version of SQL Express separate from the ePO installer and I'm not all that comfortable with answering some of the questions it's asking.

Is there (or would someone be able to easily write) a basic walkthrough of the steps and settings necessary to do a fresh installation of SQL Server 2008 Express and ePO 4.5 on an x64-based platform? I've searched the forums and the web in general and couldn't find much on this specific topic. It needn't cover anything that's already in the Installation Guide, but since the Guide only describes a "first-time installation of SQL Server 2005 Express", which it then (I assume) configures for you that part isn't terribly helpful.

I'll be happy to add to such documentation with my experience and suggestions, particularly once this forum moves to the Jive framework with a wiki and such, but right now I'm kinda stuck very close to ground zero...

- John
        • 1. ePO 4.5 + SQL 2008 Express Fresh Install for Dummies?
          I've just been testing this, but with Server 2003 32-bit, so I'm not sure how much of this is the same. Also, this isn't exactly step-by-step, just some of the important ones.

These things may already be on Server 2008, but I had to:
          Make sure .NET 3.5 was installed
          Install Windows Installer 4.5
          Install Powershell 1.0
          Run Windows Update several times to make sure everything was current

These may not be necessary, but I did them anyway:
          Update Java runtime
          Update Adobe Reader

For SQL 2008 Express, download it from the Download Center, not from microsoft.com/express. If you get it from microsoft.com/express, you won't be able to set the instance name, etc.

Database Engine: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=01af61e6 -2f63-4291-bcad-fd500f6027ff
          Management Studio: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=08e52ac2 -1d62-45f6-9a4a-4b76a8564a2b

I hope I'm not doing anything illegal or in bad netiquette by posting those links. You might have to unwrap them.

Before installing SQL Server, I created a user on the server called ePOUser with an appropriate password. It is just a standard user, I didn't add it to any groups (other than "Users", which it is in by defualt).
          When installing SQL Server, I used an instance name of ePOServer.
          On the Service Accounts page of the SQL Server setup, I selected the ePOUser account I created above for the DB Engine.
          I had to set the Browser service to Autostart (on the same Service Accounts page in the lower section), it was set to not start by default.
          I used Windows Authentication mode.
          Where you could add SQL administrators, I added the current user (the one I was logged in with to do the install, which was an Administrator account).

Then I ran Windows update several times to make sure everthing was up to date.

When installing ePO, I used the ePOUser account as the DB Server credentials.

Then, another round of Windows Updates.

Finally, I checked in the packages and extensions I wanted (Agent 4.5, VirusScan 8.7, and Engine 5400). Use Menu > Software > Master Repository and Menu > Software > Extensions.

Then, I started setting policies and testing deployments. I deployed to the server itself first.

See this thread for info on an Agent 4.5 with VirusScan 8.7 problem: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=234263

Hope this helps.

Jay
          • 2. RE: ePO 4.5 + SQL 2008 Express Fresh Install for Dummies?

It was a while since I did this so apologies for not having the step-by-step details available but it went something like this:

- Install SQL Express 2005 that came with ePO 4.5 manually
            - Install SQL Server 2005 Backwards Compatibility x64 pack from microsoft.com
            - Go into SQL configuration tool and enable TCP/IP communication if not already there, make a note of the SQL port number too
            - Run the ePO 4.5 setup selecting <hostname>\SQLEXPRESS as the database and the port number from the step above

That was it I think.

Matt
            • 3. EPO 4.5 / Fresh installation
              Can the EPO 4.5 database be installed to a specific instance <SERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME> ?

If yes, what are step by step details required to accomplish this setup.

Example:

If my database server was named EPO1 and my instance was called EPO2 it would look like this when I browsed it - EPO1\EPO2

If this is not possible, can the database be relocated to an INSTANCE.

Forgive me if I screwup terms here since I am not a DBA, just the guy stuck doing all the work the DBA does not have precious time for...

Please, if you respond to this post provide a verbose response with step by step specifics.

Thanks in Advance!
              • 4. RE: EPO 4.5 / Fresh installation
                Yes, it can be installed to an instance. One of the installation setup screens asks you which database to use. I think it even gives you a list of the ones that are available.

I know you asked for step by step details, sorry I can't help you there (no time). My earlier post on this thread is the closest I have to step by step.

Jay
                • 5. Re: ePO 4.5 + SQL 2008 Express Fresh Install for Dummies? (And installing it on Windows 2008 R2)

FYI, I followed the instructions from jguenrdc and was able to succesfully installing ePO 4.5 w/SQL Express 2008 on a VM (Hyper-V) running Windows 2008 R2 64bit. The only thing I would add is that you are going to need to install the 2005 SQL Express backwards compatiblity pack.

Using jguenrdc I came up with following instructions to install ePO 4.5 w/SQL Express on Windows 2008 R2 64bit -

FIRST OFF, 2008 R2 64BT IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MCAFEE. THIS IS A HACK TO GET IT TO WORK, DO NOT DO THIS ON ANY PRODUCTION SERVER, UNLESS YOU'RE WILLING EXCEPT THE RISKS.

USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

1) Create a local user account on the server title epouser in computer management mmc. Does *not* need to be a local admin account. Normal account works just fine.

2) Download and install SQL Express 2008 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=01af61e6 -2f63-4291-bcad-fd500f6027ff

3) When prompted name the database EPOSERVER

4) Allow the local user epouser access to the database during the installation.

5) Once the install is finished download and install SQL 2005 Express Backwards compatiblity pack from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d09c1d60-a13c-4479-9b91 -9e8b9d835cdc&displaylang=en

6) Open SQL Server Configuration Manager, expand SQL Server Network Configuration. On the right side you'll see "TCP/IP", right click and enable.

7) Open services in the Adminstration Tools and find "SQL Server Browser Properties", enable the service and set it startup type automatic.

8) Restart the server, or restart all SQL services now.

9) NOW, it's time to install EPO. In the installation directory create a file titled "SkipOS.ini". This will bypass the OS detection and allow the install.

10) Go the run and type REGEDIT and do the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystemValue: NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation

Data Type: REG_DWORD

Default: 1
                  Range: 0 or 1

Set it to 0

11) Reboot the machine

12) Now run the setup.exe

13) When prompted for the database use the following format "<hostname>\EPOSERVER", use Windows Authentication and select the local computer from the drop down. User the local username create in step 1, epouser, and put in the password.

14) Change port settings as necassary, but it should finish installing in 10-15 minutes. ALL DONE!

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to go about this, but I wanted to share what worked for me. Best of luck!

Message was edited by: ahall on 11/20/09 2:51 PM

Message was edited by: ahall on 11/20/09 2:56 PM

Message was edited by: ahall on 11/20/09 2:57 PM

Message was edited by: ahall on 11/20/09 3:01 PM
                  • 6. Re: ePO 4.5 + SQL 2008 Express Fresh Install for Dummies? (And installing it on Windows 2008 R2)

Thanks for the info, but do you also happen to know of a way to install just the agent handler on 2008 R2 (and Vista SP2\XP SP3 potentially) as this particular trick doesn't seem to work except for the whole server installation.

Message was edited by: smiabe on 12/1/09 8:45 PM
                    • 7. Re: ePO 4.5 + SQL 2008 Express Fresh Install for Dummies? (And installing it on Windows 2008 R2)
                      RMCCULLO

You will have to wait on ePO 4.5 Patch 1 for the Agent Handlers. But it should ship with in the next few weeks.