This content has been marked as final. Show 2 replies
The first thing to check is that the ePO server is reachable from the client machines... can you ping the server (by IP and FQDN) from one of the machines that is not communicating? Can you telnet to the agent / server port on the ePO server (you should get a 403 response)?
Do the agent logs on the client machines show any errors with regard to agent / server comms?
Thanks for the reply. Ping and telnet was successful. I got to investigating and somehow got onto the line of thinking that something must be amiss with Active Directory subnets. We have one computer group in AD with all our PCs in it. Some of them on the problem subnet work and some of them don't. ANyway, this is all moot at this point because we've decided to upgrade to ePo 4.5 soon. We're looking at the best options for this upgrade. We're going to have to install on a different server (running Server2003), so it might be best to install from scratch and completely re-configure everything. But that may bring a lot of headaches. We're still in the research stage. Thanks for your help! Hopefull the new ePo will solve these communication issues.