I called support 3 times about this issue without a resolution. One person told me McAfee doesn't supply any support unless you buy the product directly from McAfee! I got mine through my Internet provider (RCN), who says their contract includes support by McAfee.
The problem is simple: The latest release of Bionix Wallpaper registers a false positive! The guys at Bionix Wallpaper recognize this but say to add the program to the White List (e.g. Exclusion List).
OK, fine. This should work, right?! After all the antivirus software should honor / support items in its own White / Exclusion List!!! WRONG!!
Again the REAL ISSUE is not the false positive or the Bionix Wallpaper, for this posting the REAL PROBLEM is McAfee ignoring items in the Exclusion List!!!
Twice McAfee employees connected to my system and set up the exclusion list for me and each time McAfee Security Center 1 minute later kills the process, removes the EXE, and sometimes says it found a virus and sometimes doesn't tell the client.
As I say it was two different employees of McAfee who set up the exclusion list. Basically, they did the following:
1) Turn off Real time scanning for say 15 minutes.
2) Restore the EXE file by: Navigation -> Quarantined Items -> Quarantined items -> find the exe -> highlight it -> press Restore
3) Add the EXEC file to the Exclusion list by: Home -> Virus and Spyware Protection -> Real-Time Scanning -> Excluded Files -> Add Files -> find the exe and add it to the list
4) Turn on Real time scanning
5) Start the program: "Bionix Wallpaper.exe"
One minute or so later McAfee stops it, removes the exe, and puts it in the Quarantined list, but why? It is in the EXCLUSION LIST!
I now have a program that:
1) Look to see if the EXE is missing every 10 seconds or so.
2) If it is missing, it will
2A) Reads from disk a copy of the EXE (so McAfee won't detect this issue I encoded it)
2B) Decodes it
2C) Writes the decoded EXE to disk
2D) Starts the wallpaper program
2E) Sleeps 10 seconds
2F) Returns to #1 forever (or control-C)
OK, but every minute on the minute McAfee kills it and I restore and restart. THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO WORK! It is not a good / valid workaround.
How do I get McAfee to use the items found in the EXCLUDE LIST as it is suppose to do for Real Time scanning and also scheduled scans?