1 2 3 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 9:35 AM by Peter M

McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!

bmoshier

Hello,

I called support 3 times about this issue without a resolution.  One person told me McAfee doesn't supply any support unless you buy the product directly from McAfee!  I got mine through my Internet provider (RCN), who says their contract includes support by McAfee.

The problem is simple:  The latest release of Bionix Wallpaper registers a false positive!  The guys at Bionix Wallpaper recognize this but say to add the program to the White List (e.g. Exclusion List).

OK, fine.  This should work, right?!  After all the antivirus software should honor / support items in its own White / Exclusion List!!!  WRONG!!

Again the REAL ISSUE is not the false positive or the Bionix Wallpaper, for this posting the REAL PROBLEM is McAfee ignoring items in the Exclusion List!!!

Twice McAfee employees connected to my system and set up the exclusion list for me and each time McAfee Security Center 1 minute later kills the process, removes the EXE, and sometimes says it found a virus and sometimes doesn't tell the client.

As I say it was two different employees of McAfee who set up the exclusion list.   Basically, they did the following:

1) Turn off Real time scanning for say 15 minutes.

2) Restore the EXE file by:   Navigation -> Quarantined Items -> Quarantined items -> find the exe -> highlight it -> press Restore

3) Add the EXEC file to the Exclusion list by:  Home -> Virus and Spyware Protection -> Real-Time Scanning -> Excluded Files -> Add Files -> find the exe and add it to the list

4) Turn on Real time scanning

5) Start the program:  "Bionix Wallpaper.exe"

One minute or so later McAfee stops it, removes the exe, and puts it in the Quarantined list, but why?  It is in the EXCLUSION LIST!

I now have a program that:

1) Look to see if the EXE is missing every 10 seconds or so.

2) If it is missing, it will

2A) Reads from disk a copy of the EXE (so McAfee won't detect this issue I encoded it)

2B) Decodes it

2C) Writes the decoded EXE to disk

2D) Starts the wallpaper program

2E) Sleeps 10 seconds

2F) Returns to #1 forever (or control-C)

OK, but every minute on the minute McAfee kills it and I restore and restart.  THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO WORK!  It is not a good / valid workaround.

How do I get McAfee to use the items found in the EXCLUDE LIST as it is suppose to do for Real Time scanning and also scheduled scans?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!
          Peter M

First of all your assumption that support only services people who paid McAfee directly is incorrect.  They serve everyone, HERE.

Your question is best answered by them as it's technical in nature.

The guys at BIONIX should not be passing the buck on to you their customer, they should be clearing their own software before release as per HERE.

All I can add is that even if something is on an exception list it will still be scanned if the software detects abnormal behaviour.

Also if your imported list is old many entries will fail since the newest software is quite restrictive on exactly what can be added to an exception list.

This is the Consumer software we are talking about I hope?

• 2. Re: McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!
            catdaddy

Did your detection have a Artemis! 12-digit number? In any case you can submit following these Guidelines/Instructions, for McAfee to analyze and process and possibly whitelist.What To Do When McAfee Detects Software As An Infection - How to Submit To McAfee Labs & Appeal

• 3. Re: McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!
              bmoshier

First, thank you so very much for taking the time to reply!  As for your questions / assumptions:

> First of all your assumption that support only services people who paid McAfee directly is incorrect.

Ah, sorry for giving you the wrong impression.  It is not my impression, it is what the 2nd person at the McAfee phone number 866-622-3911 told me.  I am hoping it is not the case.

So I can learn from my mistake and to clarify it, where did you get the impression I'm assuming the support is for only peopl who paid McAfee directly?

> The guys at BIONIX should not be passing the buck on to you their customer, they should be clearing their own software before release as per

I spoke to them and they feel the white list direction is best for them.  They are small and don't make a profit.  Contacting every antivirus company to work it out individually is a hardship.  After all shouldn't the exclude list / white list work?????????????????????????????

> Also if your imported list is old many entries will fail since the newest software is quite restrictive on exactly what can be added to an exception list.

Ah, imported list?  You can import?  As for old, is less than 24 hours old?

I included the directions to add an item to the exclude list and never saw a method to import.  When you RESTORE, it removes the item from the Quarantined Items List, so nothing old there.  As for the exclude list, everything on the list both is manually added and is less than a week old (the EXE is less than 24 hours old).

> This is the Consumer software we are talking about I hope?

It is what McAfee sent (via link) to me after my Internet provide (RCN) signed me up for their anti-virus support.  I'm a home customer of RCN and am NOT a business.

Again thank you for your reply!

• 4. Re: McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!
                bmoshier

Hello and thank you for your help,

> Artemis! 12-digit number

Ah, what's that?  Some time I get a pop-up and some times I don't get one.  I never have the opportunity to copy and paste anything from the pop-up.

As for the Quarantined Items List, it also doesn't allow copy & paste and I hope I get this correct (using the latest entry):

bionix wallpaper.exe    GenericRXBT-DVI497BC3B3B9F6    6/22/2017 08:23     Detected

Thank you.

P.S.  Again the issue here is NOT really the false Bionix Wallpaper.exe detections, but how the McAfee antivirus software is IGNORING the EXCLUDE LIST ENTRIES.

• 5. Re: McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!
                  Peter M

You said:  One person told me McAfee doesn't supply any support unless you buy the product directly from McAfee!  - I believe you but you should then phone back & ask to speak to a supervisor and then ask for escalation.

Bionix are thinking of Business/Enterprise products when they talk of whitelists.  Those certainly do not exist in Consumer software.  Tell them they're wrong and should be following my previous advice.

I repeat, if McAfee thinks something is behaving dangerously it will quarantine it regardless of your telling it to ignore the file.  That is for your safety and it's then up to the software maker to clear their software with the various AV companies.

• 6. Re: McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!
                    Peacekeeper

We mods asked about how exclusions work when we were in our weekly call a while back. We were told as Peter mentioned that though you exclude them If Mcafee thinks they are bad they will still detect them.

I will reask that especially as the item in help implies a full exclusion.

that false +ve is easy to fix as the guys above mentioned by you or the software maker.

• 7. Re: McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!
                      bmoshier

> that false +ve is easy to fix as the guys above mentioned by you or the software maker.

How?  I add it and its ignored!  Reporting it won't help, as I'm not the software developer.  The developers won't do it, as they are doing this out of love / interest and not for profit.

• 8. Re: McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!
                        catdaddy

I know for a (Fact)  that if you submit the detection following those guidelines/instructions. McAfee will analyze /process it and clear it if possible. I work closely with McAfee Labs, and after you provide your Analysis ID#. I can contact a engineer on your behalf and escalate your case.

If it is over 10mbs, you can submit to Virustotal.com and provide me the MD5 hashes.

As a matter of fact simply go to the Artemis! Area Artemis Discussion and look for yourself how many other users have had there issues resolved.

Thanks

Cliff

• 9. Re: McAfee Security Center is ignoring Exclusion List!!!
                          bmoshier

>You said:  One person told me McAfee doesn't supply any support unless you buy the product directly from McAfee!  - I believe you but you should then phone back & ask to speak to a supervisor and then ask for escalation.

I did call back.  I've called 3 times and it was the 2nd person who told to go "pound sand."

I waited a day and called a slightly different time to not get the same person.  This time the phone call lasted about 90 minutes, but the problem still exists.  They want to look into more and I'm suppose to hear back.  Time will tell the tale.

>Bionix are thinking of Business/Enterprise products when they talk of whitelists.  Those certainly do not exist in Consumer software.  Tell them they're wrong and should be following my previous advice.

Ah, isn't a whitelist and exclude list the same?   As for other products, I know Avast and AVG consumer products calls it a whitelist.

> I repeat, if McAfee thinks something is behaving dangerously it will quarantine it regardless of your telling it to ignore the file.  That is for your safety and it's then up to the software maker to clear their software with the various AV companies.

What is the purpose to the exclude list, if its ignored?  I own this system and should have the right to say, EXCLUDE and let me worry about it.  Neither Intel nor McAfee own or helped me pay for the computer (hardware or software), so respect my choices, please, McAfee.  At least give me the OPTION to say, I know what I'm doing and take full responsibility.

As for clear their software with the many (25+?) AV companies, these guys are not doing this for profit, but for fun / love.  If they were a big company making tons of money, sure I could see them taking the time to call America and work with everyone in the AV community, but they aren't!

Also what 12 digit code?  I showed you what I see . . . and I don't see a 12 digit code.

I apologize for being angry, but this should be simpler!

1 2 3 Previous Next