4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 2:46 AM by tom4_u

Help Updating 3.6.1(MSDE) to 4.5.0

Hello,

[SIZE="3"] I am assigned to upgrade the existing ePO 3.6.1(MSDE) to ePO 4.5. I am planning to remove MSDE and install SQL 2005. But am worried about the databse migration from MSDE to SQL 2005. I have few questions

1. Does ePO 3.6.1 works with SQL 2005?
      [i have planned to install sqL 2005 and move database before i actually do the update ]
      2. Can some one tell me step by step update procedure?
      3. Do i have to update it first to ePO 4.0 and then to ePO 4.5?

i recently did a test on a virtual machine to upgrade 4.0 to 4.5 and it was successfull, but i m not sure how is it going to be with 3.6.1. I am afraid i might mess up. There are atleast 6 Remote Global Location (6 countries) connected to this ePO Server.

Thank You[/SIZE]
        • 1. RE: Help Updating 3.6.1(MSDE) to 4.5.0
          jmcleish
          Not really much help on the upgrade front - (never used MSDE or upgraded 3.6.1) - (doing a fresh install of 4.5) but take P2V hot clone of your epo server to your test lab using vmware's converter.
          http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/
          Its free.

If you search the forums there are a few posts on upgrades from MSDE I'm sure I've read.

That way you have an exact copy, take snapshots before you try anything and see if it works. If not you can roll back and try something else. take a few clients as well.

I use it all the time as my test prereq for any change control.

HTH
          Jane
          • 2. RE: Help Updating 3.6.1(MSDE) to 4.5.0
            Tom,

I have not seen a definitive upgrade process from 3.6.1 to 4.5.

Back in January i built a brand new EPO 4 server and am currently looking at upgrading from 4.0 to 4.5 now myself.

I would consider in your case looking at upgrading from 3.6.1 to 4.0 as there is a detailed process for this and migrating to SQL in the manual than looking to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.5.
            • 3. RE: Help Updating 3.6.1(MSDE) to 4.5.0
              twenden
              Below are some steps that we used to upgrade from EPO 3.6.1 MSDE to EPO 4.5 in a test environment. We have not upgraded our production server yet as I am waiting for the first EPO 4.5 patch. These instructions are for SQL Express 2005 but might work with full SQL 2005. I would recommend that you test this under a test EPO server which we use running under Vmware ESX 3.5

Below are the steps that I followed. The document, that I created, also included screen captures which I have removed. I would recommend that you only perform these steps on a TEST (non-production) system. We did this on a test system we created under Vmware. I have yet to do it actually on the production server. I am not a SQL expert, but these steps did work on my test server. If any, see's any protential problems to these steps, then let me know.

Hopefully, these steps will help you.

Steps to upgrade ePO MSDE to SQL Express 2005

This test was done after a successful upgrade from ePO 3.61 to ePO 4.0. ePO 3.6.1 does not support SQL Express 2005. Also needed to upgrade to SQL Express since ePO 4.5 does not support MSDE database.

1. Stop the following services:

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Application Server
              McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Server
              McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Event P****r

2. Backup the existing MSDE Database by bringing up Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express software.
              3. Click “Connect”.
              4. Right Click on database name ePO4_ServerName and select “Tasks” and then “Backup”.
              5. If there is another backup listed under backup to, then click “Remove”
              6. Make sure that it states “Full”. Click “Add”.
              7. Enter a path and name for the database backup file.
              8. Click OK twice. It should start backing up the database.
              9. Close out of the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express.
              10. Copy over the folder from HDD that has SQLExpress2005 with SP3.
              11. Go into the 32 bit folder and execute the file called SQLEXPR32.EXE.
              12. Accept the license terms and select “Install”.
              13. Click “Next twice”.
              14. Click “Next” at the screen below.
              15. Accept the defaults for “Registration Information”.
              16. Accept the defaults for “Feature Selection”.
              17. Make sure that you accept the default “Windows Authentication Mode”.
              18. Make sure that you deselect the box called “Enable User Instances”.
              19. Do not check any of the boxes listed below.
              20. Wait for it to install, make take a few minutes.
              21. Click “Finish”.
              22. Go back under the folder called “SQLExpress2005” and look for a folder called “SQL2k5BC”.
              23. Click on the file called “SQLServer2005_BC.msi”.
              24. Click “Next”.
              25. Accept the license terms and click next.
              26. Accept the “Registration Information” and click next.
              27. Accept the defaults for “Feature Selection” and then click next.
              28. Click “Install”.
              29. Select “Finish”.
              30. Under Start Menu and then All Programs, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Configuration Tools, select SQL Server Configuration Manager
              31. Click on “SQL Server 2005 Services and then SQLEXPRESS in right window. Select “Properties”.
              32. Click on “This Account”.
              33. Change it to use “name of account used to access MSDE” and enter the password.
              34. Select “Yes”. And it will restart SQL Server.
              35. Close out of it after saying “OK”.
              36. Bring up the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express software.
              37. Click pulldown next to “Server Name” and select “browse for more” and find the new Server name “ServerName\SQLEXPRESS”.
              38. Click “Connect” when it lists the new server SQLEXPRESS as shown below.
              39. Right Click in “Databases” and select “Restore Database”.
              40. Enter in the “To Database” field ePO4_ServerName and then select “From Device”.
              41. Click the button next to “From Device” and find the backup file that you created earlier.
              42. Select “OK”.
              43. Put a checkbox in the box called “Restore”.
              44. Click “Options” and put a check box in the first two boxes shown below.
              45. It should restore the database and say successful.
              46. Bring up Regedit – suggest make a registry backup first.
              47. Go the to the following registry keys:

HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\MCAFEEEVENTP****RSRV
              HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\MCAFEEAPACHESRV
              HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\MCAFEETOMCATSRV

48. Click on “DependOnService” in the right window and click delete. Be careful to only click delete in the right window.
              49. Stop the MSDE Database service called MSSQLSERVER as show below:
              50. Say “Yes” if prompted to stop “SQLServerAgent” also.
              51. Under Start Menu and then All Programs, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Configuration Tools, select SQL Server Configuration Manager.
              52. Click under “SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration” and highlight TCP/IP in right window.
              53. Right click and select “Enable”.
              54. Double click on “Enable”.
              55. Change the settings to reflect the image below:
              56. Restart the SQL 2005 service called “SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS).
              57. Start the following services:

58. Bring up IE and enter the URL listed below

https://Server IP Address:8443/core/config

59. Enter the username “account used to log into MSDE” and the correct password. Enter 1433 for the port and SQLEXPRESS for the instance name
              60. Click on “Test Connection”.
              61. It should say below:
              62. If it succeeds then select “OK” and then “Apply”.
              63. Do not restart any services just yet.
              64. Open up regedit and the key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AF05AA5C -1B53-45DE-9FFD-8F37F329A4BC}

65. Change the Database instance name field to “SQLEXPRESS”
              66. Stop the following services:

67. Stop the MSDE Service called “MSSQLSERVER”.
              68. Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove the program called Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine. Ignore any warnings about users being connected.
              69. Reboot the server.
              70. Log in and bring up Sysinternals Tools TCPVIEW and make sure that the server is pointing to the 1433 and that it is pointing the correct MSSQL path.
              • 4. RE: Help Updating 3.6.1(MSDE) to 4.5.0
                Thanks Guys, i finally updated it, i am listing the steps i have done

1. As you guys suggested i took an image of the server (the ePO3.6.1 is actually a VMware server) and then i started working with the production server

2.I backed up MSDE Database using DBBak.exe utility, and i tried to upgrade MSDE to SQL 2005 but it din worked, so i had to uninstall MSDE and installed a Fresh SQL 2005 on the server and restored the Database using the same tool (DBBak.exe). [I tried different method to restore the database but in the end i had to use DBBak.exe as all others failed ]

3.And i used Cgfsutility.exe(cant remember the exact name, sorry about that ) to recheck the database server and database settings. To make sure the migration was working i opend ePO 3.6.1 MMC and it was working fine. Thank God! and Thank you Guys

4. As twenden told i dint go for direct 4.5.0 upgrade instead i updated it with 4.0. Here i faced a problem but the below link helped me a lot to fix this, i would say it is one of the best post i have ever seen

here is the link [http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=220152]

5.After Updating to ePO 4.0 i checked the config page [https://localhost:8443/core/config] to test the database connection and seeing it was fine i logged into the 4.0 console and checked all my polices and tasks and logs. Every thing was fine and intact.

7.Before updating to ePO 4.5.0 i thought it would be better to do patch 5 , and finally after installing patch 5 i updated it to 4.5.0 and everything went fine and smooth

But now, i seems to have a problem and i have posted a new thread please if you can help me on this

the new thread is here [http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=233353]

Thank You jmcleish,Tefty and twenden for your replies happy Cheers