0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 4:15 PM by jman5000

dual-homed epo 4.5

Hello, first time post, so be kind :)

I have a newly upgraded (from 4.0 to 4.5) epo, which has 2 different network interface cards. Both of these networks needs to access the epo server for updates etc.

in the past (epo 4.0 and lower) I was always resigned to the fact that epo would only bind to a single NIC, and when building its sitelist.xml and framepkg.exe the network segment that was not bound would need to be manually edited for proper setup and communication.

epo 4.5 has some tantalizing clues which leads me to believe (finally!!) multi-homed configuration is finally a reality. However, I cannot seem to get it working, cannot seem to find any other sources of information, and the provided documentation is woefully lacking.

example: the epo_installation guide, pg. 24 "Configuring the software for a server with multiple NICs", has this section:
      "C. To expose some IP Addresses: Modify the server.ini file, and insert an IP address [sic] you want to expose. Then, set up a new virtual Agent Handler group to define additional IP addresses you want to expose for agent-server communication. See the epolicy product guide for additional information"

couple of problems with this statement
      1) it says IP address. does that mean only insert the OTHER address (the non-bound one) to this server= line in the .ini file? or is this a mistake in the document? if you have to add multiple IP addresses, there is no mention of HOW those addresses are added, comma delimited, delimited with a space, a colon, something else?

2) There is nothing in the product guide about creating a Virtual Agent Handler.

So, hopefully I haven't put everyone to sleep yet. my mission is simple, I would like the epo server to "listen" on both NIC's, and to provide the correct configuration files to the agent deployments based on the NIC it communicated on. My understanding is that this is accomplished using these new fangled "Agent Handlers" :),null and that there is some kind of facility built in using "Virtual Agent Handlers" which provides support for dual-homed epo servers (rather than having dedicated agent handlers on each network segment)

is it possible, and if so, how do I actually get this done? I currently have 200+ workstations which have had it's sitelist.xml and serversitelist.xml files overwritten with incorrect IP addresses after the upgrade.

Cheers,

J.