3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 8:26 AM by PhilR

Different Client tasks for New vs Migrated servers...

Hi,

I am migrating a bunch of servers from an old ePO 3.5 box to a ePO 4.0 box. I have policies set up on the ePO 4.0 box to install VScan 8.7i on new servers. The servers coming over from 3.5 are VScan 8.0i. The new servers are all W2k8. The migrated servers are either W2k or W2k3.

I want to migrate everything from 3.5 to 4.0 - but keep VScan at 8.0i - for the near term. I want new W2k8 boxes to get the 8.7i VScan client.

What would be the best way to do this task? I was considering tagging the W2k8 servers, putting them in their own group and set 8.7i install task there - break the inheritance for the W2k and W2k3 boxes.

Make Sense?

Thanks,

Tim
        • 1. RE: Different Client tasks for New vs Migrated servers...
          More information…

I have an existing 3.5.0.723 ePO server. It houses over 500 Windows servers. Combination of Windows 2000 and 2003. These clients have the 3.6.0.453 agent.
          I have a ePO version 4.0.0.1113 that I am migrating to.

I am currently adding the computers that are being migrated from 3.5 to 4.0 to a group that has the inheritance broken for VScan 8.7 and HIPS. I don’t want these products installed – only want the 4.0 server to control the agents. I add them to the group and push and agent. The GUI says it will push ePO Agent 4.0.0 (Current). What I get is clients that are pointed at the 4.0 server that have the 3.6.0.608 agent. I set up an upgrade task to upgrade the agent. It did not work – the install tried every minute and failed. I looked at the temp install directory – it was trying to install the 3.6.0.608 version!

What I can’t figure out is – these servers that are getting migrated - are getting the 3.6.0.608 version. I have new servers (no previous agent) and they are getting the 4.0.0.1345 agent version.

I am looking at our un-attend to see what version is getting installed on the new boxes. I will report back when I get this information.

When I run the “Create and download agent installation package” job – it kicks out FramePkg.exe file version 3.6.0.608.

The Master Repository lists the ePO Agent as version 4.0.0 – minor version 608.

The FramePkg.exe in path C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409 is version 3.6.0.608.

I found a file called FramePkg_Upd.exe in the path C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\work\Catalina\localhost\RepositoryMgmt\epotempdir_13. I copied the directory to one of the migrated servers and ran the FramePkg_Upd.exe. It ran successfully. I sent wake up call to the server and now it is listed as Agent version 4.0.0.1345.

Since the \Install\409 agent is 3.6.0.608 I understand why the version is not getting updated to the 4.0.0.1345 version. Why then does the Master Repository have it listed as version 4.0.0? How does one fix this issue?

Tim
          • 2. Resolved...
            The issue with the McAfee agent is resolved. I downloaded and checked in the 4.0 patch 2 version. Pushed agent to server currently on ePO 3.5 server. The 4.0.0.1421 agent was installed. No more problem.

The original thread was to see if anyone had any thought on the best way to segregate new machines form upgraded machines - so that the VScan istall versions can be different. Let me know if you have any ideas.
            • 3. RE: Different Client tasks for New vs Migrated servers...
              PhilR

That's precisely the way I've done things like this.

Tag and autosort into container with different policies and deployment tasks.

Phil