8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 3:51 AM by Parachute

How to backup ePolicy Orchestrator v4.0 ?

Gentlemen,

I need your help..

what is the best way to backup the configurations, policies, keys and rules in McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator v4.0.

Also, how to backup the MS SQL 2005data base.

My ePo v4 run on windows 2003 server R2 SP2 in signal server with SQL 2005.
        • 1. RE: How to backup ePolicy Orchestrator v4.0 ?
          Check out Knowledgebase article KB51438 happy
          • 2. RE: How to backup ePolicy Orchestrator v4.0 ?

the steps in the article KB51438 is very long, it there any tolls that can backup every thing..
            • 3. Batch File for Backup
              pwolfe
              here is the script i use, a simple batch file:
              This will backup The DB & All necessary files Related to EPO

Hope this gets you started.

##############################################
              # Copy this to a .bat file or .CMD file & Modify accordingly
              # *****Note:
              # 1. You need to replace the ###### with your sa password.
              # 2. Update TD-EPO\EPOSERVER & [ePO_TD-EPO] with you're Server & # Instance Info.
              # 2. Update pathing
              ##############################################

@echo off
              Z:
              cd \
              mkdir EPO_BACKUP
              cd epo_backup
              mkdir DB_FOLDER
              mkdir extensions
              mkdir catalina
              mkdir keystore
              cd db_folder
              del *.* /s /q
              cd \

C:
              cd \
              CD "\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator"

osql -U sa -P ####### -S TD-EPO\EPOSERVER -n -Q "BACKUP DATABASE [ePO_TD-EPO] TO DISK = 'z:\EPO_BACKUP\ePO_TD-EPO.bak' WITH INIT,SKIP"
              xcopy /e /c /y "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\*.*" Z:\EPO_BACKUP\DB_FOLDER\
              xcopy /e /c /y "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Extensions\*.*" Z:\EPO_BACKUP\Extensions\
              xcopy /e /c /y "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Conf\Catalina\*.*" Z:\EPO_BACKUP\Catalina\
              xcopy /e /c /y "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Keystore\*.*" Z:\EPO_BACKUP\Keystore\

exit
              #############################
              • 4. RE: Batch File for Backup

thank you very much Mr. pwolfe,

i have tried the above batch and after i change the required setting to my server it worked perfectly with one click.
                • 5. RE: Batch File for Backup
                  thank you very much Mr. pwolfe,

i have tried the above batch and after i change the required setting to my server it worked perfectly with one click.
                  • 6. How to restore ePO backed up by below batch file

pwolfe
                    Thanks for backup solution, it works f9 for me but I need procedure for restoration of ePO backup taken by this batch file
                    • 7. Re: Batch File for Backup
                      xcopy /e /c /y "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\*.*" Z:\EPO_BACKUP\DB_FOLDER\
                      xcopy /e /c /y "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Extensions\*.*" Z:\EPO_BACKUP\Extensions\
                      xcopy /e /c /y "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Conf\Catalina\*.*" Z:\EPO_BACKUP\Catalina\
                      xcopy /e /c /y "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Keystore\*.*" Z:\EPO_BACKUP\Keystore\

Hi all,

as mentioned in this thread and in the KB's, these are the four directories that need to be backed up.

I'm wondering if we could we simply backup the whole "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\"  folder (plus the SQL database) ?

Then, if a restore is needed, we could simply delete the  "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\"  and replace it by the backuped version.

I guess the goal in backing up only these four folders is to reduce the amount of data to copy, but it would not be harmful to backup/restore the whole "ePolicy Orchestrator" folder, right ?

• 8. Re: Batch File for Backup
                        Parachute

Hello Michael,

hello to everybody.

The described restore-procedure you will find in the mcafee KB maybe will work fine, if you do not change the Servername.

You may backup the whole ePO folder, but for restore i would only consider to restore the needed directories to be sure.

If you will do a restore to a different server(name) - maybe these hints could help you to get through it.

In my Situation, I had to do a lot things more, to get it working. Maybe these "hints" could help anybody out:

1. KB66616 - ePO 4.5 server backup and disaster recovery procedure

1.1 Restore your SQL-Dum with SQL-Management Studio Express (for Example), be sure to Change the restore path/database-name, if there is a difference

(in my case, the source-db was in ...\MSSQL.2 and the new installation was in ...\MSSQL.3

2. KB66620 - ERROR: Failed to get server key information (issue: ePO Server renamed)

3. Search for the textstring wich is adequate to the old servername in your ePO installation-directory

(in my case, many *.ini files showed the old servername)

Optional:

4. KB70046 - No packages are listed in Master Repository when navigating there in ePO 4.5 console

5. Take a look into your "security"-keys - no old entries (servername) should be present

6. KB53736 - Rebuilding Catalog.z for the ePO 4.0 / 4.5 Master Repository

Final:

Redeploy your agents and be sure, they will use your new server as agent-handler!

Wait until all clients changed from the old agenthandler to the new one.

... so in my case i spent nearly 5 hours for the recovery (to a new server). That's not quite amazing - but maybe i was just "unlucky" ;-)

Regards

Daniel