6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 10:12 AM by pierce

Tip to Solve: Agent Failed to upload package to ePO Server.

I do not know if others experience this problem but from we will have some agents who simply stop reporting into the EPO server. The agents will still pull policy changes and the updates but they will not report their status back to the server.We are using EPO 4.0 with patch 4. When I check the agent logs I find "Agent Failed to upload package to ePO Server ".

When this happens I found that if I delete the AgentGUID registery key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent) and then restart the Common Framework service the agent will be able to start uploading its information to the server.

It seems to be random as far as which machines it happens on and how often. Hope this helps.
        • 1. RE: Tip to Solve: Agent Failed to upload package to ePO Server.
          I've already described reason in other topic.
          Reason could be desynchronised sequence numbers. Check system.log and try to find something like that:
          TIME E #3832 EPOServer Agent xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with GUID {xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx} and IP xxx.xxx.xxx.248 and MAC xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has an invalid sequence number; expecting 275 > 2341
          TIME E #3832 EPOServer Rejecting agent due to an invalid or duplicate sequence number
          However I don't know how to get systems sequence numbers synchronised.
          • 2. Re: RE: Tip to Solve: Agent Failed to upload package to ePO Server.

I started getting this with out newly imaged machines. They are Windows 7 and we are using the built in sysprep utilties for Win7. I am guessing for me, that is where the problem is. I am going to test deleting that registry key to see if they come back clean, however that solution is a hassle to have to do on every machine we have.

• 3. Re: Tip to Solve: Agent Failed to upload package to ePO Server.

+1 for cdpayne, this fixed it for me, thanks

• 4. Re: RE: Tip to Solve: Agent Failed to upload package to ePO Server.
                SergeM

Hi

Have you tried checking your workstations'  "Sequence Errors" ?

1) there's a query report showing "Systems with High Sequence Errors"

this is often an indication that some systems are using the same GUID (should be called pseudo-Unique ID)

With that report, check that you don't have many systems with the same GUID - this happens especially when using imaged machines.

Check columns such as "Last Communication (date)" vs. "Last Sequence Error" and decide whether you want to

• select a system (or many systems) and
                • Clear Agent GUID Sequence Error Count
                • or Move GUID to Duplicate and Delete System

This is something that ought to be checked every once in a while.  I haven't gotten to letting the system decide automatically what to do.

hope it helps

Serge

• 5. Re: RE: Tip to Solve: Agent Failed to upload package to ePO Server.

What we did is not install the agent on the "image". we did a post install of the Mcafee agent after the image deployed. then it can elimiate the chance of duplicate AgentGUID.

Message was edited by: KelvinCheng on 7/28/11 10:54:13 AM GMT+08:00
                  • 6. Re: RE: Tip to Solve: Agent Failed to upload package to ePO Server.
                    pierce

I had a similar problem with servers being deployed with the same Agent number.

I now have a server task to run the report indicated earlier for machines with high sequence errors and it will blacklist these ID's. Then the task will reset all these sequence error counts.

When the ID is blacklisted the next time the agent checks in, it will be asked to generate a new ID. If two machines have the same ID they will then start reporting in OK as they will now have separate ID's. Solved my problem straight away! now just let it run once a week to keep on top of it.

hope this helps!