7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 1:20 PM by DarrylC

Epo App. Server Stopped after  sp5

Hi, I've upgraded the Epo server from version 4.0 sp4 to sp5. After this update the service "McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Application Server" cannot start anymore.
      The system log states:
      - The McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Application Server service was successfully sent a start control.
      - The McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Application Server service entered the running state.
      - The McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Application Server service entered the stopped state.

and the service is always down ...
      Can someone help me with this issue, I've already looked at the KB, but in effect I don't have any error message ...

Regards /// Angelo
        • 1. RE: Epo App. Server Stopped after  sp5
          Laszlo G
          If you try to start manually the services does it start and then stop or it doesn't even start?
          • 2. RE: Epo App. Server Stopped after  sp5
            it starts and then it stops.
            I've opened a case on the support ...
            Angelo
            • 3. RE: Epo App. Server Stopped after  sp5
              I'm having the same issue after Patch 5. Did you ever get this fixed?
              • 4. RE: Epo App. Server Stopped after  sp5
                tonyb99
                it depends on the sql, did you alter the sql or ports? have you checked the sql state?
                • 5. RE: Epo App. Server Stopped after  sp5
                  Has anyone found a solution to this? I am having the exact same issue with my ePO 4.0 server. The only thing that changed was the failed installation of patch 5. It got part way through the install then failed trying to start the service. It said it rolled back and no changes were made but now I have this issue with the Application Server starting and then stopping again right away. Nothing logged in the event logs and nothing that I can find in the McAfee log files.

Please help!!

Thanks,
                  Darryl
                  • 6. RE: Epo App. Server Stopped after  sp5
                    I did some more searching and found some logs that may provide some useful information:

EPO400-Error.ini[/B]
                    [ErrorLog]
                    ErrorString=FAILURE: While starting the service [MCAFEETOMCATSRV] because the MFS core webapps did not start correctly.
                    "D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\jre\bin\java.exe"

Return code: 1
                    Error Message: Incorrect function.

epo-patch.log[/B]
                    upgrade-file-subs:
                    [copy] Copying 1 file to D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\modules

BUILD FAILED
                    D:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\epo\build.xml:233: Failed to copy D:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\epo\apache\modules\mod_epo.dll to D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\modules\mod_epo.dll due to D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\modules\mod_epo.dll (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) and I couldn't delete the corrupt D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\modules\mod_epo.dll

Total time: 10 seconds

epo-rollback.log[/B]

downgrade-file-subs:
                    [copy] Warning: Failed to copy D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\modules\mod_epo.bak to D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\modules\mod_epo.dll due to D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\modules\mod_epo.dll (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) and I couldn't delete the corrupt D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\modules\mod_epo.dll
                    [copy] Warning: Could not find file D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\conf\httpd.bak to copy.
                    [delete] Deleting: D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Apache2\modules\mod_epo.bak

db-downgrade:
                    [copy] Copying 11 files to D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1
                    [echo] Downgrading database to patch level 0
                    [echo] Running downgrade script patchesdowngrade.sql
                    [run-sql] log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.mcafee.orion.core.db.base.Database).
                    [run-sql] log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
                    [run-sql] 0: IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM [dbo].[sysobjects] obj
                    [run-sql] INNER JOIN [dbo].[sy...
                    [run-sql] 0: ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.EPOPolicy_AddPolicySettings
                    [run-sql] (
                    [run-sql] @UserID int,
                    [run-sql] @T...
                    [run-sql] 0: ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.EPOPolicy_CopyPolicyObject
                    [run-sql] (
                    [run-sql] @UserID int,
                    [run-sql] @Po...
                    [run-sql] 0: ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.EPOPolicy_CopyPolicySettings
                    [run-sql] (
                    [run-sql] @UserID int,
                    [run-sql] @...
                    [run-sql] 0: ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.EPODirSort_SearchCreateComputer
                    [run-sql] (
                    [run-sql] @AgentGUID un...
                    [run-sql] 0: if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[...
                    [run-sql] 0: ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[EPOSP_UpdateProdPropFromEvents]
                    [run-sql] @AgentGUID u...
                    [run-sql] 0: ALTER PROCEDURE EPOPolicy_GetTaskCreatorNode
                    [run-sql] (
                    [run-sql] @GlobalTaskID int
                    [run-sql] )...
                    [run-sql] 0: if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[...
                    [run-sql] 0: ----------------------------------------------------------------------...
                    [run-sql] 0: SET ANSI_NULLS ON...
                    [run-sql] 0: SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON...
                    [run-sql] 0: -- =============================================
                    [run-sql] -- Author: Craig Ne...
                    [run-sql] 0: ----------------------------------------------------------------------...
                    [run-sql] 0: CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.EPODirSort_SearchCreateComputer
                    [run-sql] (
                    [run-sql] @AgentGUID u...
                    [run-sql] 0: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[EPOPolicy_GetSmartPolicyAssignment***Int]
                    [run-sql] (
                    [run-sql] ...
                    [run-sql] WARN: Cannot add rows to sysdepends for the current stored procedure because it depends on the missing object 'EPOPolicy_GetSmartPolicyAssignment***Int'. The stored procedure will still be created.
                    [run-sql] 0: SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF...
                    [run-sql] 0: -- second version includes the detection method
                    [run-sql] CREATE PROCEDURE EPOE...
                    [run-sql] 0: -- changed the TargetPort to int; bug 462087
                    [run-sql] IF EXISTS (SELECT * FRO...
                    [run-sql] 0: CREATE PROCEDURE EPOEvents_InsertEvent
                    [run-sql] (
                    [run-sql] @ServerID nvarchar(16) = '...
                    [run-sql] 0: -- bz:462087 - TargetPort must support values > 32767
                    [run-sql] IF EXISTS (SEL...
                    [run-sql] 0: IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.sysobjects WHERE id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo]....
                    [run-sql] 0: IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.sysobjects WHERE id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo]....
                    [run-sql] 0: IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.sysindexes WHERE [name] = N'[IX_AgentSequ...
                    [run-sql] 0: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[EPOSP_UpdateProdPropFromEvents]
                    [run-sql] @AgentGUID ...

extension-downgrade:
                    [echo] Removing patch 5 extensions with build number 1298

downgrade:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
                    Total time: 11 seconds

Several articles that I've read mention an EPO400-Patch-MSI.LOG file but that one is not on my server.

Thanks,
                    Darryl
                    • 7. RE: Epo App. Server Stopped after  sp5
                      Does anybody have any ideas? I'd really rather not rebuild the ePO server if I don't have to.

Thanks,
                      Darryl