4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2008 9:51 PM by Dvanmeter

Safeboot hangs pc when using laptop keyboard...

DarrenFord
      Hi Guys ...

I have a client who is running Safeboot on a Dell inspiron 2600 and when using the keyboard it hangs , but if he plugs in a external usb keyboard then its fine.

When booting he also gets a keyboard 0211 error...

Any ideas...?
        • 1. RE: Safeboot hangs pc when using laptop keyboard...
          I'm pretty sure i'm the client in question here (it's a huge coincidence if i'm not!), so i'll keep an eye on this thread to see what appears and answer any questions if they appear.

Edit: Ignore the bit below - i've reverted to a previous BIOS and the issue below is resolved. However, following a complete rebuild i am still having the keyboard lockup error following the initial Safeboot login as in the original post.

However, the problem has changed a bit now as i've tried different things to get this fixed. I've rebuilt the laptop from scratch with W2K SP4, installed the latest drivers and updated the BIOS (which i think has now really stuffed it!).

Unfortunately, the initial Safeboot login screen now appears all scrambled, so you can't see where to type etc. Attempting to type in the username and password blindly doesn't do anything, so i can no longer get to Windows to see if the keyboard and mouse are still broken. I'm going to try to revert to a previous BIOS, but other than that is there anything else i can try?

Cheers
          • 2. RE: Safeboot hangs pc when using laptop keyboard...
            colyewg
            Unfortunately for the two members above, this post isn't a resolution. Instead I just want to add further material to the problem that is probably related.

We are running SafeBoot 5.1.2 on almost 750 laptops now and the vast majority with no issues, however, it's come to light for recently that some users are experiencing the client freezing/hanging.

Initially we actually thought it was because an external mouse/keyboard was plugged in, but we find it continues to happen. To date I only know of it happening with Dell laptops, notably the D510. In most cases it has occurred when cancelling the logon prompt to perform a Recovery through Options - as soon as Options is clicked.

More recently a user has reported the system freezing just after entering a username and password, and clicking OK to boot into Windows.

A specific area of the forum for encryption products would really be useful, monitored by technical staff. Any help would be appreciated though I can see me having to contact the support team directly.

Thanks
            • 3. RE: Safeboot hangs pc when using laptop keyboard...
              tonyb99
              I have asked for an additional board in corporate to deal with safeboot etc and this will probably be coming soon.
              I do have to direct you to the disclaimer for the corporate boards in general though thats at the top of each board:

This forum is the catch-all for corporate products. Please note that that while many corporate admins frequent this forum, Enterprise versions of VirusScan are NOT officially supported by McAfee Technical Support here.

In other words this is just a user board, official technical support has to be done through your support account with Mcafee and in general you will not find these boards frequented by Mcafee corporate support staff.
              • 4. RE: Safeboot hangs pc when using laptop keyboard...
                Dvanmeter
                This was a common problem we have on HP TC4400 Tablets. We have confirmed that version 516 or buidl 5400 seems to fix the problem.