6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 6:16 PM by laginghard

mfeavfk BSOD

laginghard

For the past month I've been getting BSODs and it usually says SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and then mfeavfk23.sys (that 23 number can be a number of different numbers though 07, 14). Sometimes it doesnt happen for a day sometimes it'll happen twice in a space of a couple hours. Can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it. I've uninstalled and completely removed mcafee from my system with the MCPR tool in the hope that removing that mfeavfk file in the system directory would fix it. Then reinstalled it, but still there's the issue.

Attached the dump file of the most recent one. Hopefully this will help.

Whocrashed gave me this information.

On Wed 14/06/2017 4:25:01 PM your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\dump\061417-9500-01.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: mfeavfk23.sys (mfeavfk23+0x7B30)
      Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800E4596B30, 0xFFFFD0002B45B0E8, 0xFFFFD0002B45A8F0)
      Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
      Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mfeavfk23.sys .
      Google query: mfeavfk23.sys SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Tue 13/06/2017 11:03:05 AM your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\dump\061317-9546-01.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: mfeavfk07.sys (mfeavfk07+0x7B33)
      Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0xFFFFD0002CCA10D8, 0xFFFFD0002CCA08E0)
      file path: \Device\mfeavfk07.sys
      Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mfeavfk07.sys .
      Google query: mfeavfk07.sys SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 11/06/2017 11:29:18 PM your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\dump\061217-8703-01.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: mfeavfk07.sys (mfeavfk07+0x7B30)
      Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80127460B30, 0xFFFFD0002C36D0E8, 0xFFFFD0002C36C8F0)
      file path: \Device\mfeavfk07.sys
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mfeavfk07.sys .
      Google query: mfeavfk07.sys SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 11/06/2017 12:26:00 PM your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\dump\061117-10656-01.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: mfeavfk14.sys (mfeavfk14+0x7B33)
      Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0xFFFFD000288BB0D8, 0xFFFFD000288BA8E0)
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mfeavfk14.sys .
      Google query: mfeavfk14.sys SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

• 1. Re: mfeavfk BSOD
          selvan

Hello laginghard

Please provide the below information so that I can try to replicate the problem from my end

OS and bit version:

McAfee Version:

Version of mfeavfk.sys

Also could you navigate to C:\Windows\system32\drivers and check how many mfeavfk.. files are actually present. If there are many then I would suggest a cleanup after running the removal tool MCPR. My lab PC has only 1 driver with the name mfeavfk.sys

• 2. Re: mfeavfk BSOD
            laginghard

Win 8.1 64bit

mcafee total protection 16.0.0 build 16.0.157

mfeavfk version 15.6.0.1540

Just one version present right now.

When i uninstalled it and deleted the old version it said the fil was created in 2014, thats why i did a uninstall and clean because i thought maybe the old file was causing it. But still same issue with the clean install.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: mfeavfk BSOD
              selvan

Thanks for the details. The version of McAfee as well as the driver file seems to be the latest. Currently testing this on Win 8.1 machine and will post back my findings shortly.

• 4. Re: mfeavfk BSOD
                laginghard

And this one has been happening very rarely but this just occurred after attempting a windows update that failed.

Everything was fine until about 6weeks ago, so i dont know if it's a mcafee issue or a combination of a windows and mcafee issue of some sorts. i've never had an issue like this before.

On Wed 14/06/2017 11:41:42 PM your computer crashed
                crash dump file: C:\dump\061417-9828-01.dmp
                This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14E2A0)
                Bugcheck code: 0xFC (0xFFFFE001D686B880, 0x80000001AE4009E3, 0xFFFFD00038CC1180, 0x4)
                Error: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
                file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
                product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
                company: Microsoft Corporation
                description: NT Kernel & System
                Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.

• 5. Re: mfeavfk BSOD
                  selvan

Hello laginghard

I would like to inform you that this problem was not seen on our lab PC running the latest version of McAfee software all these days. Kindly share observations from your end.

• 6. Re: mfeavfk BSOD
                    laginghard

I was having ram issues a few weeks back so i enabled page file on the C drive SSD that i have, reduced my ram issue but that seems to then have caused the blue screens etc. I reverted to disabling the pagefile again and that seems to have fixed the issue. I have on idea why having a page file enabled would cause all those bluescreens though but for some reason it did. Thank you for your help.