5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 6:25 AM by Peter M

Certify an app as trustworthy?

shiv179

Hi

I have developed an app for my organization.

This app downloads content for offline use and stores it on the file system, in the C:\ProgramData folder.

The content contains many HTML files, sometimes hundreds of them.

When the app is reading the content from the file system, McAfee scans each and every file, causing the app to slow down significantly and hang while the scan is in progress.

McAfee will scan the same content repeatedly, even though it was already scanned once and has not changed.

Unfortunately I cannot change the McAfee settings to add exclusions, as they are managed by my organization.

Some of my clients who use my app also have McAfee and they are experiencing the same issue, they also cannot change the McAfee settings to add exclusions.

Is it possible to certify an app so that McAfee trusts it?

McAfee should not scan the executable or the data files that the app uses.

Product: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, latest version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Shivan

• 2. Re: Certify an app as trustworthy?
          selvan

Moved to VSE as an appropriate spot

• 3. Re: Certify an app as trustworthy?
            rmetzger

Hi Shivan,

Welcome to these Forums.

shiv179 wrote:

I have developed an app for my organization.

This app downloads content for offline use and stores it on the file system, in the C:\ProgramData folder.

The content contains many HTML files, sometimes hundreds of them.

When the app is reading the content from the file system, McAfee scans each and every file, causing the app to slow down significantly and hang while the scan is in progress.

McAfee will scan the same content repeatedly, even though it was already scanned once and has not changed.

Unfortunately I cannot change the McAfee settings to add exclusions, as they are managed by my organization.

Some of my clients who use my app also have McAfee and they are experiencing the same issue, they also cannot change the McAfee settings to add exclusions.

Is it possible to certify an app so that McAfee trusts it?

McAfee should not scan the executable or the data files that the app uses.

As Peter said above, you can submit your 'app' here: Detection Dispute Submission | McAfee Labs but that will only help for the submitted app (executable) to be ignored, or trusted. This does Not help with the behavior of the app and all the data files it Downloads or uses. The behavior is likely the problem, not the app (executable) itself. The Data Files the app uses or downloads are scanned by VSE as designed.

As you stated, this is managed by your organization, which is the only real solution to reducing the overhead associated with your 'app.'

I might suggest reviewing setting up VSE to use High/Low Risk Profiles, and registering your 'app' as Low Risk.

Begin here with the VSE Best Practices Guide: https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 22000/PD22940/en_US/vse_880_best_practic…

and look over 'Defining the default high and low processes during scans' section to better understand how to configure VSE and your 'app' to perform better. This configuration change is usually done by the Network/Security Administrators within the organization.

I know this may be not be the answer you were looking for, but I believe this is the best answer available. Maybe this Best Practices Guide will help better understand the behaviors causing the performance issues.

I hope this is helpful.

Ron Metzter

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Certify an app as trustworthy?
              shiv179

Thank you Peter and rmetzger for your feedback, much appreciated.

I will advise my clients accordingly.

• 5. Re: Certify an app as trustworthy?
                Peter M

Good luck ;-)