1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 11:10 PM by mrgui

SafeBoot 5.1.3 - SafeBoot Error with Cisco VPN - Gina Chaining

Hi Guys,

We use Cisco VPN Client starting up before Windows Logon, after the SafeBoot client is installed. I get this error at windows logon.

Error - "The Cisco VPN subsystem was not able to start. You will not be able to create VPN connection nefore logon."

I've tried the SB-NoUpdateGina 3 reg fix but still the same.

Any ideas?
        • 1. RE: SafeBoot 5.1.3 - SafeBoot Error with Cisco VPN - Gina Chaining
          Dvanmeter
          your problem most likely lies in the fact theat Safeboot replaces the boot gina. usually this will be msgina, but in your case it may be the cisco Gina? If not it may been causing the problem with passing signle sign on
          • 2. RE: SafeBoot 5.1.3 - SafeBoot Error with Cisco VPN - Gina Chaining
            You are not alone..

I've been struggling with this issue for a couple of weeks as well

However, I get the error, click OK.. Then cancel the logon prompt. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete again...

This time the client loads correctly and can be used to log in successfully and repeatedly.

(Assuming you go through the procedure each time)

You might like to try this, it works for me but I desperately want to get rid of the error.

Anyone give us a clue on achieving this?

Regards,

Brian
            (losing hair rapidly)
            • 3. RE: SafeBoot 5.1.3 - SafeBoot Error with Cisco VPN - Gina Chaining
              Hi Brian,

It's your lucky day, I got the bottom of this in the end. It's all down the the smartcard reader on your laptops, you have to upgrade your client to 5.1.6 B5400.

Goto the SafeBoot FTP for the latest build.

Thanks,
              Ken
              • 4. RE: SafeBoot 5.1.3 - SafeBoot Error with Cisco VPN - Gina Chaining
                Thanks Ken,

I suppose SmartCard drivers does make vague sort of sense..

now rummaging about to get hold of the upgraded client.

How easy/difficult is it to upgrade? You don't have to decrypt the hard drive, then use the new client to encrypt the hard drive do you?

Personally, I don't have a vast amount of experience with the software, we've been presented with is as an install it and make it work project!

R

Brian
                • 5. RE: SafeBoot 5.1.3 - SafeBoot Error with Cisco VPN - Gina Chaining
                  Hi Brian,

It was pretty straight forward, theres a migration document on the latest build archive.

The clients update themselves after you select the newly installed 5.1.6 file group.

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat as you, you'll get the hang of it. How many clients do you have?

Ken
                  • 6. RE: SafeBoot 5.1.3 - SafeBoot Error with Cisco VPN - Gina Chaining
                    Ken,

I've probably retraced your path today..

I'm now 100% convinced that it's the O2Micro smartcard reader drivers that are the problem. I've even let windows update install some Microsoft generic drivers, but they upset the VPN software as well.

I don't manage the server end, just the laptop/desktop builds, currently about 150 out there and growing slowly.

Thanks for the post by the way, saved me a few grey hairs and a lot of time.

Now I only need a foolproof method of deploying it in a Ghost image.

Regards,

Brian
                    • 7. RE: SafeBoot 5.1.3 - SafeBoot Error with Cisco VPN - Gina Chaining
                      Hi Brian,

Don't waste time messing with the smartcard drivers, I tried that on our Dells.

If you can't get the server guys to upgrade SafeBoot then no probs. If you don't use smartcards, then just disable the smartcard service on your laptops as a workaround.

I'm glad it's helped someone, I've wasted weeks on this!!

I'm not sure if you can include SafeBoot on an image, even decrypted as it needs to have a unique machine name, but don't quote me on that!

Thanks,
                      Ken
                      • 8. Gina Fix
                        The Cisco VPN client must be configured to start prior to login. Then you can run this reg script to fix the ordering problem. This can also cause winlogon crashes or SAS errors when booting up, if it is not loaded right.

Basically, you tell Windows to load SBGINA.DLL as first logon component. SBGINA then passes this control to CSGina.dll, which should then pass it to MSGina.dll. If you do not have any third party GINA components, set SB-OrigGinaDLL to blank.

If the machine will not boot in normal mode, perform the registry changes in Safe Mode.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems\VPN Client]
                        "PreviousGinaPath"="MSGina.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
                        "SB-OrigGinaDLL"="CSGina.dll"
                        "GinaDLL"="C:\\Program Files\\SafeBoot\\SBGINA.DLL"
                        • 9. RE: Gina Fix
                          Hi all,

I am just coming across a similar problem but just with a different third party software using safeboot v4.2. We will be upgrading to v5, but not for a while.

Just wondered if you could post a copy of your sbgina.ini? I have tried to edit mine to try to change the gina boot series, but so far, without any positive results...

Many thanks,

Paul
                          1 2 Previous Next