8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 5:43 AM by dmispr

Upgrading MSDE to SQLExpress 2005

twenden
      I have been scratching my head over the best way to switch MSDE to SQL Express 2005. We are testing upgrading from EPO 3.6.1 to EPO 4.0. The current EPO 3.61 is using MSDE. The upgrade to EPO 4 goes fine as it will import the MSDE. However, we are trying to find the best way to later switch to the SQL 2005 Express. One of the needs is to get that 4GB limit and also be able to upgrade to EPO 4.5 when it gets released. EPO 4.5 does not support MSDE so we need to find a way of switching.

I talked to McAfee Tech support yesterday. The walked me through upgrading using the SQL Express setup. However, it will produce an "unknown error message -1. They then suggested that we try backing up the MSDE database, uninstalling MSDE, installing SQL Express 2005 and then restoring from the backup. The restore gives sometype of error like it does not support certain tables in the MSDE. I am currently at a loss.

Has anyone sucessfully switched from MSDE to SQL Express 2005? If so, can they give me some pointers maybe to some knowledgebase articles or documentation. I am not an SQL person so am getting confused.
        • 1. RE: Upgrading MSDE to SQLExpress 2005
          I was able to upgrade from MSDE to SQL 2005 Express yesterday due to my ePO server 4.0 clients not contacting the Server ["ePO server busy" error]. I had just upgraded to ePO 4.0 yesterday. I simply ran the install for Sql 2005 Express and it worked.
          • 2. RE: Upgrading MSDE to SQLExpress 2005
            twenden
            After some trial/error I was able to finally figure out how to upgrade from MSDE to SQL Express 2005. Luckily for me, I had created a EPO server 4.0 in Vmware which allowed me to try various scenarios. The upgrade scenario that McAfee Tech Support walked me through did not work.
            • 3. Re: Upgrading MSDE to SQLExpress 2005
              Twenden-

Any chance you can give me the details & steps you took to upgrade from MSDE to SQLExpress 2005?

We are currently working on a similar upgrade. We have ePO 3.6.1 & MSDE installed on Windows 2000 server. We are upgrading to ePO 4.0 on a Windows 2003 VM, and want to upgrade to SQL Express 2005 for that 4GB limit.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me, as I've had ran into multiple issues trying to upgrade the SQL part.

Thanks!
              • 4. Re: Upgrading MSDE to SQLExpress 2005
                twenden

Below are the steps that I followed. The document, that I created, also included screen captures which I have removed. I would recommend that you only perform these steps on a TEST (non-production) system. We did this on a test system we created under Vmware. I have yet to do it actually on the production server. I am not a SQL expert, but these steps did work on my test server. If any, see's any protential problems to these steps, then let me know.

Hopefully, these steps will help you.

Steps to upgrade ePO MSDE to SQL Express 2005

This test was done after a successful upgrade from ePO 3.61 to ePO 4.0. ePO 3.6.1 does not support SQL Express 2005. Also needed to upgrade to SQL Express since ePO 4.5 does not support MSDE database.

1. Stop the following services:

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Application Server
                McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Server
                McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.0 Event Parser

2. Backup the existing MSDE Database by bringing up Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express software.
                3. Click “Connect”.
                4. Right Click on database name ePO4_ServerName and select “Tasks” and then “Backup”.
                5. If there is another backup listed under backup to, then click “Remove”
                6. Make sure that it states “Full”. Click “Add”.
                7. Enter a path and name for the database backup file.
                8. Click OK twice. It should start backing up the database.
                9. Close out of the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express.
                10. Copy over the folder from HDD that has SQLExpress2005 with SP3.
                11. Go into the 32 bit folder and execute the file called SQLEXPR32.EXE.
                12. Accept the license terms and select “Install”.
                13. Click “Next twice”.
                14. Click “Next” at the screen below.
                15. Accept the defaults for “Registration Information”.
                16. Accept the defaults for “Feature Selection”.
                17. Make sure that you accept the default “Windows Authentication Mode”.
                18. Make sure that you deselect the box called “Enable User Instances”.
                19. Do not check any of the boxes listed below.
                20. Wait for it to install, make take a few minutes.
                21. Click “Finish”.
                22. Go back under the folder called “SQLExpress2005” and look for a folder called “SQL2k5BC”.
                23. Click on the file called “SQLServer2005_BC.msi”.
                24. Click “Next”.
                25. Accept the license terms and click next.
                26. Accept the “Registration Information” and click next.
                27. Accept the defaults for “Feature Selection” and then click next.
                28. Click “Install”.
                29. Select “Finish”.
                30. Under Start Menu and then All Programs, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Configuration Tools, select SQL Server Configuration Manager
                31. Click on “SQL Server 2005 Services and then SQLEXPRESS in right window. Select “Properties”.
                32. Click on “This Account”.
                33. Change it to use “name of account used to access MSDE” and enter the password.
                34. Select “Yes”. And it will restart SQL Server.
                35. Close out of it after saying “OK”.
                36. Bring up the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express software.
                37. Click pulldown next to “Server Name” and select “browse for more” and find the new Server name “ServerName\SQLEXPRESS”.
                38. Click “Connect” when it lists the new server SQLEXPRESS as shown below.
                39. Right Click in “Databases” and select “Restore Database”.
                40. Enter in the “To Database” field ePO4_ServerName and then select “From Device”.
                41. Click the button next to “From Device” and find the backup file that you created earlier.
                42. Select “OK”.
                43. Put a checkbox in the box called “Restore”.
                44. Click “Options” and put a check box in the first two boxes shown below.
                45. It should restore the database and say successful.
                46. Bring up Regedit – suggest make a registry backup first.
                47. Go the to the following registry keys:

HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\MCAFEEEVENTPARSERSRV
                HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\MCAFEEAPACHESRV
                HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\MCAFEETOMCATSRV

48. Click on “DependOnService” in the right window and click delete. Be careful to only click delete in the right window.
                49. Stop the MSDE Database service called MSSQLSERVER as show below:
                50. Say “Yes” if prompted to stop “SQLServerAgent” also.
                51. Under Start Menu and then All Programs, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Configuration Tools, select SQL Server Configuration Manager.
                52. Click under “SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration” and highlight TCP/IP in right window.
                53. Right click and select “Enable”.
                54. Double click on “Enable”.
                55. Change the settings to reflect the image below:
                56. Restart the SQL 2005 service called “SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS).
                57. Start the following services:

58. Bring up IE and enter the URL listed below

https://Server IP Address:8443/core/config

59. Enter the username “account used to log into MSDE” and the correct password. Enter 1433 for the port and SQLEXPRESS for the instance name
                60. Click on “Test Connection”.
                61. It should say below:
                62. If it succeeds then select “OK” and then “Apply”.
                63. Do not restart any services just yet.
                64. Open up regedit and the key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AF05AA5C -1B53-45DE-9FFD-8F37F329A4BC}

65. Change the Database instance name field to “SQLEXPRESS”
                66. Stop the following services:

67. Stop the MSDE Service called “MSSQLSERVER”.
                68. Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove the program called Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine. Ignore any warnings about users being connected.
                69. Reboot the server.
                70. Log in and bring up Sysinternals Tools TCPVIEW and make sure that the server is pointing to the 1433 and that it is pointing the correct MSSQL path.
                • 5. Re: Upgrading MSDE to SQLExpress 2005
                  twenden-

Thank you very much for including your instructions. I was able to upgrade over to SQLExpress 2005, but had a few questions.

-What changes did you make in Step 55?
                  -Also, when you mention "name of account used to access MSDE" in steps 33 & 59, why can't I set it up to use the db account (sa)? We would like to set up the db to use the 'sa' account instead of a System or Network account. Could I change to use Mixed Mode in Step 17 to use the SQL account authentification instead of Windows?

Thanks again for your help!
                  • 6. Re: Upgrading MSDE to SQLExpress 2005
                    twenden

On Step 55, when you right click TCP/IP and select properties. The only changes made were in the Dynamic Port section. I basically changed the field labeled "TCP Dynamic Ports" to say 1433. Not doing this would allow SQL to use Dynamic random ports like 1080 etc. I wanted to make sure that it stays on the SQL port 1433.

You probadly can use the sa account. We don't have our set that way instead using Windows Authentication. I don't have any experience with Mixed Mode. Maybe someone else with more SQL experience can answer this type of question. In some reading, I have seen mentioned that Windows Authentication is more secure than using the SA account.
                    • 7. Re: Upgrading MSDE to SQLExpress 2005

Hello twenden,

I have recently upgraded from first Protection Pilot 1.5 to ePO 3.6.1+P4 and from there to ePO 4.0.0 P5 (build: 1298). I still use MSDE and would like to switch to SQL Express 2005.
                      Would you like to share your document complete with screen shots with me?

Thanks a lot in advance.
                      • 8. Re: Upgrading MSDE to SQLExpress 2005
                        I have now upgraded(?) MSDE to SQL Server 2005 Express and everything seems ok - except of course some minor nags:

- After a server reboot (or McAfee ePO services restart), it takes a long time before the login prompt to the ePO console appears the first time I want to use it. The second and so on time there is no problem. Any ideas?
                        - Starting the ePO 4.0.0 Event P****r service is very slow compared to earlier. Stopping the service is fast.
                        - Stopping the ePO 4.0.0 Server + Application Server services are a lot slower than before, but starting them are fine. Is that normal or can I do anything about it?

- After a server or McAfee ePO services restart I now get this error in the servers Application Event Log:
                        "Source: Apache Service
                        Event ID: 3299
                        Description: The Apache service named reported the following error:
                        >>> [date] [notice] Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API ."
                        I have googled the error but still I dont know if the error have an impact on ePO. Any ideas?
                        [edit]Sorry, just found this: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51321 [/edit]

Thanks a lot in advance!