5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 8:58 AM by Maytee

about setting agent update

about setting agent update

i'd like to know how agent select repositories if i choose "select repositories by Subnet distance".

how it calculate the distance, sir?

thanks so much

maytee
        • 1. RE: about setting agent update
          It does a bitwise comparison between the client IP and the repository list to find the "closest" subnet.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59434
          • 2. RE: about setting agent update
            Wow what a useless way to find "closest". I can't think of any real-world network I've been in where that would actually work reliably.

I suggest using the "Ping time" option instead. Then your agent will pick the repository with the lowest ping time.
            • 3. RE: about setting agent update
              Really?

Say my client IP is 10.1.16.89.

I've got some repositories setup covering specific user subnets:
              Repo1 - 10.1.15.0/23
              Repo2 - 10.7.15.0/23
              Repo3 - 10.45.15.0/23
              etc...

Using "closest subnet" I can always be assured I will be pulling from the assigned respository, or at least trying it first. If you're using "fastest ping" what happens if your local respository (Repo1) has a momentary glitch or network hiccup and the repository (Repo3) waaaay on the other side of your WAN (potentially across the country/world) has a quick response? Then you potentially have a fair amount of traffic traversing the WAN instead of the LAN.

Thats just my $.02 - using "closest subnet" has worked well for me.
              • 4. RE: about setting agent update
                Maybe I misunderstand how "subnet distance" is supposed to work? For example, say that in your situation:

Repo1 is in Seattle, WA
                Repo2 is in Australia
                Repo3 is in San Jose, CA

If Repo1 goes down, then using "subnet distance" your client will update from Australia instead of San Jose, correct?

However, if you use "ping time" then the client should update from San Jose, right?
                • 5. RE: about setting agent update
                  at first i think set it as select repo by ping time is easy to set and understand.

but if the subnet distance is work like mr. bxs said it should better than ping time, right?