2 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 7:47 PM by rhythm_methods

CPU Usage goes to 100% on collecting properties on client - multiple servers effected

On 2008 64 Bit Servers running VSE8.5 Patch 8 and agent version 4.0.0.1345.
      I am getting CPU spikes, I can replicate that when I do collect and send properties that
      naprdmgr.exe uses 98% cpu usage then once that finished scan64.exe goes up to 98% for a while also.

I do recall something about this being doccumented at some point, but of course it was of no use to me then so I didn't save the info.

Anybody got any ideas?
        • 1. RE: CPU Usage goes to 100% on collecting properties on client - multiple servers effected
          Yeah, it's a bug that Patch 1 of 8.7i assist with, so I presume Patch 9 or something (whenever it is released) for 8.5i will also do the same type of fix.

From the VSE 8.7i Patch 1 readme:

Issue: In an ePolicy Orchestrator managed environment, the agent’s Collect and Send Properties function could cause the McAfee Product Manager service to spike its CPU utilization for extended periods of time. (Reference: 457421)
          Resolution: The VirusScan Management Plug-in has been updated to call for the scan engine and DAT files via a new API call, rather than initializing the engine to retrieve the information. This lessens the CPU time involved during the agent Collect and Send Properties function.
          • 2. RE: CPU Usage goes to 100% on collecting properties on client - multiple servers effected
            Thanks for that, I knew I had read that somewhere in the last couple of days, but couldn't find it again (as until a few hours ago I wasn't aware of this issue) just got about 60 new 64 bit servers come on-line.

It is only happening on the 64bit servers, on XP workstations the issue isn't there.....

I called McAfee but they said we can't help you untill you upgrade to the latest version of the agent.....um, yea, great....

Anyway, I have a change already approved to update the agent in 1 weeks time, so will do so.....

I guess this might be an excuse to update them to 8.7Patch1....unfortunatley it wasn't available at the time of setting these ones up, doh!

Has anybody else seen this issue with 8.5Patch8 on 64 bit servers?

If so, has anyone found a resoloution to this?