2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 9:13 PM by benjani

Client DNS Name shows as WORKGROUP

benjani

I have a bunch of clients which are in a workgroup and all have different DNS suffixes. When I click on a client and look at the System Properties tab, the 'DNS Name' field shows as hostname.dnssuffix - for example: server1.domain.com However a few of my machines show up as hostname.WORKGROUP despite the fact that they have a DNS suffix specified.

I have tried rebooting the client and reinstalling the McAfee agent but I can't get the select few clients to show their actual DNS suffix in the 'DNS Name' field.

I'm not sure if the McAfee agent is pulling information from somewhere within Windows and sending it back to the ePO? Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas on what the issue could be?

• 1. Re: Client DNS Name shows as WORKGROUP
          tao

Perhaps, compare the primary DNS suffix in the registry: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Paramaters - to what ePO is reporting; do the same with nslookup vs ePO.

• 2. Re: Client DNS Name shows as WORKGROUP
            benjani

I checked the 'Domain' and 'NVDomain' values in the registry which are both correct and match the DNS suffix. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by nslookup vs ePO but if I nslookup the DNS suffix it resolves to an IP address.

The strange thing for one of the servers is that the DNS name field in ePO will sometimes display the correct DNS suffix but then later on in the day will change back to hostname.WORKGROUP again.