1 Reply Latest reply on May 21, 2017 9:45 AM by catdaddy

Crapware's final form

torivor

In February, when I attempted to download Minecraft forge from a freeware site (stupid move, but then my paranoia wore off by that point), I received 2 PUPs: Bytefence and Chromium. After some trial and error, I was able to delete both via the regedit tool.

Or so I thought.

About every 2 weeks now, a popup window appears, asking me to update chromium (which reinstalls it if it is missing). It always reopens itself if I close it, and it will forever move itself to the front, making everyday PC usage impossible. I have looked at all the .exe files this morning (or all that were installed later than 2017), but there was nothing suspicious. The crapware itself seems overly skimpy on what it could be doing, so I would be assuming a novice slapped it together. Can you please tell me which .exe files are causing the popup? I am troubled by this specifically because there were several .exes I had not seen before, but I am assuming MCA quarantined them. Please help?

The particular strand is put inside the Minecraft Forge Installer that the site wants you to download (not the external link to the files that have the OreSpawn mod in them)

minecraft-forum.net/minecraft-mods-downloads/1-6-2-ore-spawn-mod-download-2-2/