9 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 11:33 AM by richjone

Where to see why Product Deployment task failed

I'm new to version 4 of ePO, and I'm having a hard time figuring out why my Product Deployment task didn't work. I had it setup to install the McAfee Agent and Antispyware Enterprise Module on some test computers at 5am this morning. Both things are set to install, the task is enabled, but when i look at the list of Systems, none of them show as having any info on the workstations or being managed. Is there a log somewhere i can look to see what happened when my deployment task ran at 5am?
        • 1. RE: Where to see why Product Deployment task failed
          challiwag
          you could look at the agent log on the client
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\DB\
          agent_machine_name.log
          You should be a ble to see what the agent tried to do here.
          • 2. thanks
            thanks, looked in the log, and it didn't do anything at 5am like it was supposed to :-(

Guess my task must not be setup right or something. Not sure why, i have it set to every day at 5am, it's enabled, MA and ASEM are both set to install with no command line switches.
            • 3. RE: thanks
              challiwag
              Have a look at the ini files in this dir
              C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\Task
              look inside them and try and find one with the same task name that you created, if it isnt there, the task never got to the client.
              • 4. RE: thanks
                Looks like it never got it, there's only one ini, and it says TaskType=UPDATE, which is probably the other task i have setup to update the dats, engine, and virusscan patches on the workstations. I only have two tasks setup, an update task described above, then the deployment task to (hopefully, haha) push the McAfee Agent and ASEM to all the computers.
                The deployment task was setup yesterday, so it should have gotten that new task by now since the machine was left on overnight I would have thought.
                • 5. I lied
                  I lied, that ini is for the local AutoUpdate task, NOT for the one on the server. So looks ePO hasn't even forced itself onto this machine yet.

Maybe thing are different with ePO 4 than 3.x. I thought I could just add machines in, then the deployment task would get them all ePO'd by installing the McAfee Agent.
                  • 6. RE: I lied
                    challiwag
                    You will have to deploy the agent to the machine before any of the tasks including the deployment task will work.
                    So either add the system manually from the console and tell it to push an agent. Or take the framekwork.pkg file from the epo server and manually run it on the client.
                    Once agent on the client ti will start picking up the tasks you have created.
                    It is a bit confusing for noobs to ePO about being able to deploy the agent from the deployment task, but this is more for pushing out a new agent when you already have an agent installed form this server.
                    • 7. Thanks!
                      Thanks! I will select the workstation under Systems, then do a Deploy Agent manually.

You'd think there would be a way to tell ePO that if there's a computer within it (whether manually added or synched from Active Directory), and it doesn't have the Agent installed, to install it. That would be just too easy!

You sir are a genius. Thank you VERY much for helping me out, this was driving me nuts. If anything doesn't work from here, I'll reply, but I think I'm good!
                      • 8. RE: Thanks!
                        challiwag
                        You'd think there would be a way to tell ePO that if there's a computer within it (whether manually added or synched from Active Directory), and it doesn't have the Agent installed, to install it. That would be just too easy!

Well....there is, you can use rogue system detection to do it.....but thats for another day ;)

Enjoy
                        • 9. Ha
                          Haha, yeah, I'm quite happy with deploying manually for now wink