This content has been marked as final. Show 11 replies
I think its a horrible thing if you are totally used to 3.5, 3.6, 3.6.1, its just a different way of working.
I'm going to go for my 4.0 some time this year when I can make time for a week in Slough, whoopee!! sad but I'm mainly doing that so I dont lose my training budget.
I already run one 4.0 and x2 3.6.1 and although you can figure out everything on 4.0 it is all different in the interface despite all the architecture being exactly the same ( except some bits in RSD 2.0)
If you can spend a lot of time playing with it then you may not need a course, but if you only have 3.6.1 in dev (EOL dec this year) then you probably deserve one happy
I'm a student in a training session. I hadn't know anything about ePO before the beginning of the month.
Now I really control it ! One week maximum to control it ;)
Even though you're in a different version, you'll see it's easier (as I can see on the Net) and the product guide is (at least) really adapted at all your questions ! You've already controled 3.6 so I think 2 days for you to discover the 4.0 are enough happy
Jim, about 80% of my EPO4 knowledge was picked up on my own when we upgraded - the other 20% came through a course that our suppliers did in house for a lot less money than McAfee wanted to charge - check to see if your supplier do similar courses..
Thnaks for the feedback so far Guys - much appreciated - keep it coming ;)
I guess that I'll try and find a spare server or VM to fire up ePO 4 on and have a look see.
Training budgets are pretty tight in the current economic climate so whilst I may "deserve" one I'm pretty sure I;ll need a better cost justification that that :D
I am in the same boat with training almost impossible to fund. In our environment, I learn the hard way and that is on-hands. I have a Test EPO server running on a Vmware ESX server that will soon be used to test upgrading to EPO 4.0.
I also used some sites to help me controlling the software. I have done tutorials in french too.
I can give you some @sites (in french sad but the vocabulary is nearly English ex: déploiement => deployment !) to help you : there are some good screenshots :
The installation is nearly the same as ePO 3.6 happy No Pb for that ;)
A little help to integrate your VSE in ePO 4.0 (which is not well explained with the product guide) : how integrate VSE on ePO 4.0
McAfee has some videos to help you fixing problems too :
McAfee's Video tutorials
The documents you can find on the Internet talk about 3.6 (most cases ! ).
If you want a quick traduction of my tutorials, you will be able to ask me, no pb happy
Thanks for the further input folks - much apprecaited - keep it coming - would apprecaite some more input from those who've gone via the "hands-on training" approach to get a better understanding of how much "acclimatisation time" maye be necesasry to actually get upgraded/migrated and be capable of the run of the mill daily management activities and reporting etc.
@Pitch - many thanks for the link - google translation helps even further happy - and thanks for the offer of assistance - much apprecaited.
The reporting is very easy to use once you get your head around it, after a few hours I had knocked off reports for everything I had to and set appropriate dashboards.
Just remember not to alter the basic queries/reports just copy and then tweak (you never know when you might want the original, and loads of people complained after they went straight in and removed anything they though they would not need then did)
Creating RSD rules etc took me a lot longer to get my head around as it took me ages putting in OUI codes, where in 3.6.1 all I needed was the name and some wildcards
Thanks Tony - don't currently use RSD but what are "OUI Codes" when they're at home ?