3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 11:54 AM by shadowman12

VirusScan 8.5 Patch 8

Hello,

Most of my clients are running Protection Pilot. I've started moving them to ePO 4.0. I've had no problem with most of the functionality of ePO. However, I can't seem to get the newest patch out to the clients. From what I understand, checking the patch 8 package into the master repository should be enough. I've checked it in and it shows in the repository as Hot Fix - Minor Version 8. Problem is, it's not going out to any of the clients. I've tried waking them up and rebooting a couple of the clients. There are no errors, the clients simply are not seeing the patch. I've looked at the client tasks, and I don't see a way to force an install of the patch.

Any ideas why the patch is not deploying?
        • 1. RE: VirusScan 8.5 Patch 8
          You need to create an client deployment task to deploy the Patch, or you can turn global updating on, but that could be dangerous. Global Updating automatically updates and deploy all the packages checked in to you repository.
          • 2. RE: VirusScan 8.5 Patch 8

Thanks for the reply. Can you walk me through the task creation? The last option when creating a new task is "Update (McAfee Agent)". Is this what I'm looking for? There is no option to choose Patch 8 specifically. I can just pick VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0 under Patches and service packs. Would this be a run once task? I want to make sure the patch goes out even if the machines aren't on right now. This way when users get in and boot up, they will also get the patch.
            • 3. RE: VirusScan 8.5 Patch 8
              I would then turn Global Updating, because most task a only for an specific time, or at start-up, but then you need to create two task, which is more difficult (keep it simple). First delete the patch before enabling global updating, after going trought to steps check the package in again.

Here a quote from the ePO 4.0.2 manual howto enable global updating

McAfee recommends using global updating with your updating strategy. Global updating
              automates replication to your distributed repositories and updating managed systems. Replicationand update tasks are not required. Checking contents in to your master repository initiates aglobal update. The entire process should complete within an hour in most environments.Additionally, you can specify which packages and updates initiate a global update. However,when you only specify that certain content initiates a global update, ensure that you create areplication task to distribute content that was not selected to initiate a global update.
              NOTE: When using global updating, McAfee recommends scheduling a regular pull task (to
              update the master repository) at a time when network traffic is minimal. Although global updating is much faster than other methods, it increases network traffic during the update

Global updating process

1. Global updating updates most environments within an hour using this process:
              2. Contents are checked in to the master repository.
              3. Contents of the master repository are replicated automatically to the distributed repositories.
              4. A SuperAgent wake-up call is broadcast to all SuperAgents, which then send the wake-up call to all agents within each SuperAgent’s broadcast segment. The call contains information about the updated packages and the repositories containing them. If a package the managed systems require is in the wake-up call, the agents go to a distributed repository to get the package.
              5. All agents go to their distributed repositories for new updates.

Requirements
              These requirements must be met to implement global updating:
              • A SuperAgent must use the same agent-server secure communication key as the agents
              that receive its wake-up call.
              • A SuperAgent is installed on each broadcast segment. Managed systems cannot receive a SuperAgent wake-up call if there is no SuperAgent on the same broadcast segment. Global updating utilizes the SuperAgent wake-up call to alert agents that new updates are available.
              • Distributed repositories are set up and configured throughout your environment. McAfee
              recommends SuperAgent repositories, but they are not required — global updating functions with all types of distributed repositories.
              • If using SuperAgent repositories, managed systems must be able to “see” the repository
              from which it updates. Although, a SuperAgent is required on each broadcast segment for
              systems to receive the wake-up call, SuperAgent repositories are not required on each
              broadcast segment, but the managed systems must “see” the SuperAgent repository from
              which to update.

Deploying update packages automatically with
              global updating
              Use this task to enable global updating on the server. Global updating automatically deploys
              user-specified update packages to managed systems.
              Before you begin
              • Repositories must be created and available to all agents that receive the SuperAgent wake-up
              call.
              • There must be a SuperAgent in each broadcast segment that contains agents you want to
              receive the SuperAgent wake-up call.
              • Only global administrators can perform this task.

Deploying update packages automatically with global updating
              McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0.2 Product Guide 141
              Task
              For option definitions, click ? on the page displaying the options.

• Go to Configuration | Server Settings, select Global Updating, then click Edit at the bottom of the page.
              • On the Edit Global Updating page, select Enabled next to Status.
              • Edit the Randomization interval, if desired. The default is 20 minutes.
              • Each client update occurs at a randomly selected time within the randomization interval, which helps distribute network load. For example, if you update 1000 clients using the default randomization interval of 20 minutes, roughly 50 clients update each minute during the interval, lowering the load on your network and on your server. Without the randomization, all 1000 clients would try to update simultaneously.
              • Next to Packages types, select which packages initiate an update.
              • Global updating initiates an update only if new packages for the components specified here are checked in to the master repository or moved to another branch. Select these components carefully.
              • When finished, click Save.
              • Once enabled, global updating initiates an update the next time you check in any of the selected packages or move them from to another branch.
              • NOTE: Be sure to run a Pull Now task and schedule a recurring Repository Pull server task,
              • when you are ready for the automatic updating to begin.