9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 10:38 AM by Angus7

System restore point cleaner disabled full pc backup

After using quick clean and checking the system restore point cleaner I am unable to make a Complete PC Backup in Windows Vista Ultimate. My security Center is version 9.3 so I am assuming Quick Clean is version 9??? I could be wrong.

HERE'S THE ERROR
      The backup application could not start due to an
      internal error, server execution failed (0x80080005).

I have searched for soolutions to this problem to no end. Many posts on many many different forums are available and none have solutions (aside from starting all over.) I haven't been able to do a full backup since december which was shortly after getting my computer.

If anyone has an updated "fix" for this problem that will allow me to do a full backup (without first wiping everything I have done) it would be greatly appreciated.

Chasity
        • 1. RE: System restore point cleaner disabled full pc backup
          exbrit
          That's because backup is looking for the missing restore points for which Quickclean has obviously not totally cleaned or rather keys that remain after they were cleaned. There's nothing you can do except stop cleaning up system files using anything other than Windows own tools. Eventually it will work.

Even using System Restore itself will break McAfee too, see http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100328&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&An swerID=16777217&turl==http%3A%2F%2Fkb.mcafee.com%2Finfocenter%2Findex%3Fpage%3Dc ontent%26id%3DTS100328%26actp%3Dsearch

I know that Quickclean is part of McAfee's Security Center and I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I am dead set against the use of any kind of registry cleaners and Quickclean is one of those. From years of experience I've learned that they do more harm than good. So much so that I have deleted the Quickclean automated task from Security Center altogether. In my humble opinion it should not be activated by default.

The only System cleanup you should be doing is the one through Control Panel/System and Maintenance.

Never, ever turn off McAfee services, or any other services otherwise your system will eventually malfunction.
          • 2. RE: System restore point cleaner disabled full pc backup
            I haven't used system restore point cleaner since and do not plan to. Are you saying that if I do not use Quick clean again then eventually windows will allow me to use complete pc backup? I find that hard to believe since there are people even on this forum that have been witing for 2 years to do a pc backup and haven't been using the system restore point cleaner.

I think I have misunderstood your statement.

*** I did turn off Mcafee services and rebooted, however, I have the internet disconnected. Once I tried the backup with services turned off and saw it still did not work, I turned them back on and rebooted before turning internet connectionc back on. I would never be crazy enough to surf the net with no protection.

Would there be a possibility of using some other program that I could download online to do a complete pc backup instead of using windows?
            Obviously this wouldn't be your expertise, but seeing that a mcafee service caused this problem I thought maybe someone might have a solution or work around for it.
            • 3. RE: System restore point cleaner disabled full pc backup
              exbrit
              Have you tried turning off System Restore altogether and rebooting, then trying backup?

It should work.

You can always access the internet safely by booting into "Safe Mode With Networking" by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.

Turning off McAfee services will cause McAfee to malfunction. Perhaps the only solution if the above doesn't work would be to do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
              2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
              3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
              In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
              If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.
              4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site not from any CD that you may have.

I don't know of any free backup software applications that are good. Google would help you there.
              • 4. RE: System restore point cleaner disabled full pc backup
                Thanks for trying Ex-Brit; followed your directions exactly and still have the 0x80080005 error (have since last backup Dec 2007). Quick Clean (which I haven't used since Jan 2008) must have destroyed something that Full PC Backup requires. Hopefully cshocktart has better luck than I did.
                • 6. RE: System restore point cleaner disabled full pc backup
                  exbrit
                  Acronis True Image is good, I have it and use it mainly when I need to clone a hard drive to a new one, but it also has regular backup. Windows, depending on your version, also has backup of course.

If you've know the manufacturers of your hard drive, sometimes they do free backup software of their own. Just a thought that occurred to me, sorry I didn't think of it before.

Regarding any issues that you attribute to McAfee there is always Technical Support Chat which is free and available 24/7 through the link at top left of this page, or in my signature.
                  • 7. RE: System restore point cleaner disabled full pc backup
                    No..... no luck here at all.
                    """"Windows, depending on your version, also has backup of course.""""

HUH???? The WINDOWS COMPLETE PC BACKUP is the one that's not working. Does windows have some other version of a complete backup I can use???? I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood that statement.

Yes, I guess I will be looking into another backup program and we'll see if that will work if not then I guess I'll be calling support everyday and driving everyone crazy until someone finds the answer to this.

Maybe there is somewhere we could find a list of all the files .... components..... or whatever that Windows complete pc backup uses to do the backup. Maybe then we could figure out what mcafee deleted and replace it???? It boggles my mind that so many people have had this issue for so long and still no answers. Guess that'll teach me to just click on an option (even from a trusted company) that claims to keep my computer cleaned up and working fast. Maybe I just didn't think about the fact mcafee is a security tool not a housecleaner and I'll try and keep that in mind for now on. Still doesn't help my irritation.

I do appreciate you help, I know you have tried to offer support, however I have to say if my subscription wasn't already paid for I'd cancel just because of such an important issue being overlooked for years now. ARGH!

Thank you anyway.....if anyone else finds a solution PLEASE post here.
                    • 8. Windows Full Backup Failed
                      I am having the same problem. I receive error 0x8080005. I last made a full shadow copy of my notebook to an external hard drive using Windows backup on 04/10/2009 without any problems. I am running Vista Ultimate (32 bit version). I have tried disabling all non essential software and McAfee, and I could not do a full shadow back up. I disabled Vista's system restore. I still could not make a full shadow back up copy. Many Vista users are having this same problem. McAfee was up and running on my computer when I made the initial shadow copy. I used QuickClean once to clean restore points, and I believe this may have created the problem. I have permanently disabled QuickClean. I can perform a regular backup. I just cannot do a full backup (i.e., a shadow copy of the drive). I hope a solution will be found soon. sad
                      • 9. RE: Windows Full Backup Failed
                        Same problem here, Windows Backup didn't work for me, too. Tried to backup with it a few months ago and I think I also got this error 0x8080005. I contacted a friend and we tried to solve the problem but weren't successful. I later tried a backup with Acronis and it worked - I have to admit I don't know why, my knowledge about these issues is limited. There is such a wide range of backup options (link) available that you don't really know which one may do the job for you best.