6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 11:01 AM by mastercam

Agent-Server communication problem

Hi, we recently had some problems with our EPO 4.0 server after the system it was running on locked up and had to be reset (since then RAID firmware and drivers were updated and chkdsk was run on all volumes and the system has been operating normally). Because the EPO symptoms were very strange (Master Repository was showing nothing and was causing errors on update, etc.) I did a key export, database backup, uninstall, reinstall, database restore, key re-import to get McAfee EPO running again (this is on a Windows Server R2 SP2 32-bit with all current patches).

McAfee EPO is mostly working now, but I'm seeing some odd errors with Agent-Server communication, and I've been unable to deploy the Windows VirusScan client through the Agent as a result.

For instance, if I send an Agent wake-up from the EPO server, it often fails and this is what the log details are on the server:

INFO Waking up agent using NetBIOS
      ERROR Unexpected HTTP response code 500 received from remote computer
      ERROR Wakeup agent failed

If I go to the client system and look at the logs there it has things like this in it (I've replaced our server name with [server] in this example):

InetMgr Connecting to Real Server: [server] on port: 80
      InetMgr Connected to ePO Server: [server]
      InetMgr Uploading SPIPE HTTP header
      InetMgr Uploading data in bytes: 731
      InetMgr Reading acknowledgement from ePO Server
      InetMgr Could not recognize the HTTP return code: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
      InetMgr
      InetMgr Received response [] from ePO Server
      InetMgr Failed due to timedout when send/receive to/from Server
      InetMgr HTTP Session closed

Any ideas what might be wrong, or how I should diagnose this? Thanks in advance!
        • 1. RE: Agent-Server communication problem
          This problem (Could not recognize the HTTP return code: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error) is known when the agent is installed on a Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) server. Are you running an Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) server.

See also:
          Common Management Agent communications to the ePO server fail when installed on a Microsoft ISA Server
          • 2. RE: Agent-Server communication problem
            I am not running a Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) server - it just running file and print serving.
            • 3. RE: Agent-Server communication problem
              Try to reinstall the ePO agent on the affected clients. I don't have any suggestions anymore. I suggest you should create an support case at McAfee Support.
              • 4. RE: Agent-Server communication problem

I too have this problem. I had to reinstall my server (from the OS up)...and connected back to the original DB(on another server). Now it shows the clients list in the DB and all of the setting...I just cannot have them communicate.

Service call is in place, but if anyone has a suggestion?!
                error: Unexpected HTTP response code 500 received from remote computer
                • 5. RE: InetMgr Received response [] from ePO Server
                  Was having this problem repeatedly and the only way around it was to re-execute FramePkg.exe on each client -- sometimes repeatedly in order to get it to send properties back to the ePO server. Found that by rebooting the ePO server and then ensuring that the BITS service was started on it that the agents then began reporting back in again.
                  • 6. RE: Agent-Server communication problem

-------------------------------yes, I am quoting myself grin --------------------------------

This is what resolved our issue:
                    (from support)

In this case if you have OLD ePO server installed folder backup then you can recover this key from the below mentioned path of the ePO installed folder.

x:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Keystore\sr*.zip

You need to import the key to the new installed ePO server, in case if you don’t have the above mentioned key backed up then the only option is to reinstall the agent to the client machine.
                    ------------------
                    1. Go to Configuration | Server Settings on each server in your environment, select
                    Security Keys in the Setting Categories list, then click edit

2. Click Import, next to Import and back up keys. The Import Keys dialog box appears

3. Browse to the location containing the exported ZIP files, select one, and then click next

4. Verify this is the desired master repository public key, then click Save