3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2009 12:02 PM by shadowman12

Script to migratie McAfee clients to a new ePO server

Hello,

With our current server in our DMZ we manage about 150 McAfee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0& 8.5 "hosts". We are going to migrate this server to a new ePO server, for several reasons. We are using ePO 3.6.1 in this enviroment, also for legitimate reasons (we are bound to SQL 2000)

What I like to do is to migrate this "hosts" connecting to this ePO server, with an script.

I have now this script.

@ECHO OFF
      SET SOURCEDIR=%~dp0
      SET SITELIST=SITELIST_NEW.XML
      SET LOCALPATH=
      IF NOT EXIST %LOCALPATH%%SITELIST% GOTO END
      IF EXIST "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\Common Framework\" SET LOCALPATH="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\Common Framework\"
      IF EXIST "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\" SET LOCALPATH="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\"
      IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\Data\" SET LOCALPATH="C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\Data\"
      IF [%LOCALPATH%]==[] GOTO END
      NET Stop "McAfee Framework Service"
      DEL /F "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\%LOCALPATH%\Common Framework\ServerSiteList.XML"
      DEL /F "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\%LOCALPATH%\Common Framework\SiteMapList.XML"
      DEL /F "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\%LOCALPATH%\Common Framework\SiteList.XML"
      COPY /Y "%SOURCEDIR%%SITELIST%" "%LOCALPATH%SiteList.XML"
      NET Start "McAfee FrameWork Service"
      :END
      SET SOURCEDIR=
      SET SITELIST=
      SET LOCALPATH=

What I would like to do, is running this script trough a list of servers, a kind of for loop or something.And if possible do it remotely, from my own workstation or from an management server (with admin rights)
      I don't have that much scripting knowledge how to accomplish that, hopefully somebody could help me :).null
        • 1. RE: Script to migratie McAfee clients to a new ePO server
          I'm new to EPO too, but as I understand it the clients look for the server IP, DNS name then Netbios. If you unplug the old server, then give the new one the same IP and/or hostname won't they just connect to that one?

I'll eventually have to migrate my EPO 4 server to a new box so I'm interested to know how this works.
          • 2. RE: Script to migratie McAfee clients to a new ePO server

I'm impressed! Let me know how this idea works.

Here's the Loop logic which utilizes an input file named Hosts.txt,
            Formatted as such:
            host1 ip1
            host2 ip2

And produces a single listing of all your hosts showing their SiteList "ServerName":

< Not Needed >

You can run this before and after your script to confirm the change.
            Of course, the easy modification to copy the file is left as a drill for you! Good luck!
            • 3. RE: Script to migratie McAfee clients to a new ePO server
              Thanks for your reply. Today I found an solution, we have an script for pushing Microsoft patches to servers in our DMZ, with a little modification I can use that scripts to execute this migration.
              It's a quite complex scripting with use of psexec and so on, and everything can than be done remotely from our managementservers. Unfortantely I'am not allowed to share it on the internet.

Anywany, everyone who has taken the effort to reply, thanks very much.

Edit:

In ePO 4.0.2 it is much easier to migrate this clients, as soon as you have an list op ip-adresses of hostnames. You can import them into an Directory/Site,and the run an deployment task on that site to deploy the McAfee Agent, and systems are migrated. Of course not forget to delete them from the old ePO server.

Quote from the ePO 4.0.2 product guide:
              Creating a text file of groups and systems
              Define the groups and their systems by typing the group and system names in a text file. Then
              import that information into ePolicy Orchestrator. You must have network utilities, such as the
              NETDOM.EXE utility available with the Microsoft Windows Resource Kit, to generate complete
              text files containing complete lists of the systems on your network. Once you have the text file,
              edit it manually to create groups of systems, and import the entire structure into the System
              Tree.Regardless of how you generate the text file, you must use the correct syntax before importing
              it.
              1 List each system separately on its own line. To organize systems into groups, type the
              group name followed by a backslash (\), then list the systems belonging to that group
              beneath it, each on a separate line.
              GroupA\system1
              GroupA\system2
              GroupA\system3
              GroupA\system4
              2 Verify the names of groups and systems, and the syntax of the text file, then save the text
              file to a temporary folder on your server.

Importing systems and groups from a text file
              1 Go to Systems | System Tree, then click New Systems. The New Systems page
              appears.
              2 Select Import systems from a text file into the selected group, but do not deploy
              agents.
              3 Click Browse, then select the text file.
              4 Select what to do with systems that already exist elsewhere in the System tree.
              5 Click OK.
              The systems are imported to the selected group in the System Tree. If your text file organized
              the systems into groups, the server creates the groups and imports the systems.