If you are going to a NEW ePO server here's what I have done:
1) Build NEW ePO server, create a NEW DB instance (on OLD SQ)
2) Register the old ePO server with the NEW ePO and vise versa
3) Setup policy transfer from OLD ePO to the NEW ePO server
4) Export-import tasks to the NEW ePO server
5) Export-import system tree to the NEW ePO server
6) Tweak accordingly
7) Migrate systems with the transfer option from the OLD ePO to the NEW ePO (just a few to make sure that everything is working as expected)
How to transfer/move computers from one ePolicy Orchestrator server to another Technical Articles ID: KB79283 Last Modified: 4/9/2017
However, this is not what we want. We wish to keep the same server name and just have the agents and URL start using the new name. Can you adjust your steps to meet that requirement?
8) Rename new "mcafee2" server to "mcafee1"
Steps 1 - 7 is making sure that your new environment is the same as your old environment minus the upgrade. Changing the hostname is done as normal - ePO will pick up the new name when the machine restarts. Just make sure you don't change the machine's name and IP address at the same time: otherwise the clients won't be able to find the server. Double check the order: Configuration <> Server Settings: Agent Contact Method.
What about doing a in-place upgrade from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 on the same Mcafee1 server?
I would do a backup:
ePolicy Orchestrator server backup and disaster recovery procedure Technical Articles ID: KB66616 Last Modified: 4/7/2017
Then review the new upgrade version docs (usually found in the unpacking of the upgrade) and then proceed with the upgrade according to docs. .